2002 2400 250HO G2 Evinrude prop advice

Morse

I recently purchased this 2400 with a 25" 250 Yamaha four stroke on it.  I took it out twice, and decided to repower due to the high hours and age of the Yamaha.  I had a 250HO G2 Evinrude installed yesterday with a 20" shaft and a 10" setback jackplate as per Skip at Pathfinder saying this would work well.  They actually demo'd the boat, and said it's only getting 5,000 rpm and 50 mph with 2 guys and 76 gallons of fuel.  This is with a 26 pitch RX4 prop.  I purchased the motor separately and it came with this prop that was intended for a bass boat.  Anyway...  Should I drop down to a 20 or 22 pitch?  I really liked how the saltwater series 21 pitch cruised with a load of 4 adults and 4 children on the boat.  I never tried for top speed though.  Acceleration and cruise speed/mpg are my main concerns.  I was expecting to see mid 50's out of this boat, but maybe my expectations were a little high.  All help is appreciated. 

By the way, the boat does have a T-top, trolling motor, power pole, and 5 batteries on board.  I plan to remove the trolling motor and 2-3 of the batteries. 

There is little experience here propping G2's. 26 pitch sounds a little tall. It depends on the lower unit gear ratio and the character of the prop. Big difference usually between 3 and 4 blade props too.  There is no formula or rule of thumb for propping.

You ask about the Yamaha SWS props.. They don't fit the ETEC shaft splines. You have to buy props made for the motors,,

One thing you can do is send a PM to Funky Monkey on this Forum, or call PowerTech Propellers in Louisiana, and ask for Marcus. He is the one person who can match a prop to your boat/motor and meet the performance desires you have. Their props cost a bit more, but you get what you are looking for..

Mod-1

8101 Kingston Road
Shreveport, LA, 71108
Email:
sales@ptprop.com

Phone:
318-688-1970

Besides what Moderator posted with regards to Marcus, AKA FunkyMonkey always providing sound advice and the pitch sounding a little too tall, what about the dealer? The dealers I know where you just dropped a chunk of change on a new motor would let you test out used props they had in stock until you found one that worked. Talk to the dealer and see what they say. By the way, where are you located?

A 26 is too tall.  Big difference between a Bass boat riding on a running pad and a 2400 Bay Boat.  In normal situations you gain or drop about 200rpm per degree of pitch. I would be looking for a 3 blade in the 23 pitch range as a starting point.  As far as splines... Splines are not different, they are longer on Merc/Yamaha.  I have drilled out many Yamaha/Merc props to fit OMC's.  Your SWS should be a flow torque hub, so you can buy an Evinrude hub to slide right in.  I would really love to see some pics of that G2 on the back of your rig.  Good luck propping.  

A little update.  The prop is actually a 25 pitch RX4.  I took it for a couple of short trial runs yesterday.  With two people, 5 batteries, trolling motor, T-top, 76 gallons of fuel, and a full livewell, it ran 52 mph at 5,200-5,250 rpm.  What the dealer explained as not so fast acceleration is night and day faster than the 250 four stroke it replaced.  I never ran the previous motor wide open for a length of time, but before on a similar short blast it got up to 46 mph.  I would be 100 percent satisfied if the rpm's were where they need to be.  I would like to try a 22 pitch Bravo XS.  I'm also considering having my prop shop drop this to a 23 pitch, although it will still fall well short of the rpm's it should probably be turning.    

Archived