78 redfisher

Alex6

The hull looks great. Congrats on your choice. There are allot of guys and gals on this forum that can help you along the way. We have already made the mistakes and can guide you to theright materials and suppliers to save you time and money.

As an MBC product owner you should register at the top right of the "Forum Index". This allows you to send Private Messages.

Did you paint the hull or did you get it that way. I love the accent stripe.

Couldn't help notice how it sits low in the stern. Are all your batteries in the back? You could get a few more inches of draft by getting the weight centered. Not familiar with your console to know if you have room for TM batts.

I would keep the color unless you got a thing about yellow or there are scratches and it needs painting anyway. Very unique.

If you have room in front of console maybe you could fabricate a battery box/seat. I love the lines on that model. Maybe some of the other Redfisher guys could chime in on what they did.

Running wise you could use a four blade to give you more stern lift and a quicker hole shot, but it would pole and TM allot better if you could move the weight.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

finished ripping out the floor, what a task that was, now i have to rip out all the foam because it is soaking wet.

Need help- one stinger is rotted out up front, should i just fix it where it is rotted or should i redo the whole stinger.

One more question- any one know of a website to order gl***ing material?

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

Hey! I've been away from this site for a few weeks due to work. I live in Miramar and am currently restoring my 1981 Bonefisher. (check out my skiff posted earlier in this section) I'm slowly working inside out because I refuse to stop fishing for awhile to get the whole thing done. Currently working on the console through this little cold spell. I did not have problems with my stringers so don't have any advice for you on your question. However, if you need a hand with anything else just let me know. Good luck!

I am no engineer, but if you splice it, won't you loose some strength. I'll bet there is a way to marry to pieces and not loose any thing. I would google " boat stringer repair/replace". There are some boat builders web sites with videos and alot of info. There was a post a few months ago from a guy in Northern Michigan rebuilding a Hewes or a Mav and he was rebuilding the stringers. He had several pictures and told what products.

You might try some Mfg web sites too, like West Systems.

Wow! Now is the time to do it all right. Wiring, plumbing, fittings. I would take the best ideas I could find and incorporate them while I had the opprotunity. Battery box, supports, TM backing plate, possible Power Pole/or Talon install space and access. My little hull refinishing project looks like childs play compared to what you bit off. Good Luck and keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex, looks like a full on resto in progress...

have you checked out the cl***ic mako forum? those guys have buttloads of info on how to redo old boats in general, not just makos......

i know it might be too late, but i think you could repair that stringer, and not lose ANY strength IF the rest of the stringer is good, and IF you do it right... i would definitely make sure that the rest of the stringer was sound by drilling here and there... i would hate to go through this much trouble, and find that the stringers were bad somewhere else!!! :o

personally, i would redo all of it, from the shell up, but i would also hate to mess with a laminate that has done it's job for 30 years. :D

post up more pics on your progress! definitely a boat worth restoring, that's for sure.

as for the livewell, there are ways to build your own, molding them out of fibergl*** using a melamine form is one way... i think 20-25 gallons would be fine for a baitwell, might go bigger for a release well, depending on how you plumb it......

are you re-doing any of the hatches?

i would definitely work to put the weight more forward. and now is the time to do it, for sure!

also, did they make a 'redfisher' in '78? wouldn't this have been a 'bonefisher' or 'stalker' or something?

seeing one of these when i was about 10 years old, has made me want a hewes for a long time. finally got one!!!

• 4 months later...

Archived