Electrical help

HewesYourDaddy

I just installed a new touch screen Lowrance on my boat. I took it out to do a little fishing, but mostly to get familiar with the unit. What I noticed is when I use my trim tabs or crank the engine, the screen on the display flutters. I also noticed that my voltage reading on the unit displays 10.8V.  Last night, when I was configuring some stuff in the gps, I noticed the voltage still displayed 10.8V. Does this sound like my alternator is not charging while the engine is running? I keep my batteries on trickle charge at all times when not in use. 

Did you connect your new unit direct to the battery? The instillation manual usually suggests going direct to one battery, but not thru the elect. distribution panel. Also, all connections have to be clean and tight. New bottom machines are very sensitive to low voltage, which is usually caused by corrosion or bad connections in the elect. system.

you should be 14 ish motor running and over 12 after a charge.  check at battery with a meter directly and then at you distributed positive and ground if they are both low it is battery likely if battery is good(about 12) and low at gauges the it is likely your ground.  10.8 is not right a lot of the marine electronics will not operate at all at voltages much lower than 10

Archived