Winter Reds On The Outside

Got the Skinny Mini back and ready to run....more in another post....

We had a negative low out front so I decided to play in the back for a few hours so we ran around behind the Chatham and Houston, ventured into House Hammock to look for trout....NADA :(

Ventured into the Storter on the beginning of the incoming....NADA...then decided to head out to the entrance of the Chatham and found a few rat reds some short black drums and snapper.

With the wind cranking from the east, I needed to find some shelter and ventured out to the islands and look for some protected areas....

Found one area that had moving water and the tide was rising........the skinny mini delivered us into an area that was only 1.5 feet deep....I knew there was a trench of about 2 feet along the mangroves...and we kept our distance and were casting into the bank for 40-50 feet from the boat....it's all about the moving water along a bank...

The bite turned on and it was red after red.....they were schooling on a bank as the lunch bell was ringing.....

Here's Dan's fatty.....

30906153253_711029b1c1_k.jpgDan dec 17-1 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

I found one a bit smaller.....here he is next to his bud :)

30906154203_e171422a51_k.jpgDan dec 17-2 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

While cutting the filets, I decided to check what was for lunch....I found my fatty with a belly full of crabs and shrimp....Dan's was not as full and must have just arrived...during the day, I had been setting out chunks of red fish...and interesting, they would not take it....I put a nice chunk, right in the same spot as where we were hitting the reds on shrimp.....never know.....

31678630036_bf539c961f_k.jpgDan dec 17-3 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

Overall, we hit at that spot 8 reds and left them biting....total day....a dozen trout (one keeper),  mostly shorts, 12-13 reds with two to the box, one keeper snapper...

DC

Archived