spray from transducer help

polliwog

I just put a new Garmin comb nav/depth chartplotter on my 15ft HPX maverick.  Always had some spray from the trim tabs,but not bad.  The new transducer is much longer than the old on and throws a ton of wager on motor and back of boat.

Question is who if anyone makes a shield to cover the top of the transducer?  Do I have to fab one myself?  Does anyone else have the issue?  Thanks all Merry Xmas.     

polliwog,

I had the same issue with a new Garmin I just installed on my 18 RF. Made a shield myself and did not work. Bought one from Garmin, and it did not work. Finally bought a" through hull" transducer for my unit direct from Garmin, and that fixed the problem perfectly for $75.00 more >:(>:(. If you end up going that route, make sure you tell Garmin you need the "adapter plug" form the back of your specific unit. If you don't, they will ship it with out one, and you'll have to wait another week for the the adapter. Learned that the hard way.

I have the long transducer on my echo map and it shot up like a broken fire hydrant. Garmin is aware of the issue and will ship you a free spray shield they designed to counter the problem. I received mine installed it in 5 minutes and no more spray. You can see it on their website it's made of stainless steel. Give them a call they will take care of you.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:18 PM, Coto said:

I have the long transducer on my echo map and it shot up like a broken fire hydrant. Garmin is aware of the issue and will ship you a free spray shield they designed to counter the problem. I received mine installed it in 5 minutes and no more spray. You can see it on their website it's made of stainless steel. Give them a call they will take care of you.

I may try this ^^^

I currently have this vvv 

IMG_3263.JPG

I have the same Garmin transducer, I made this using some fuel line and 5200 and a piece of plastic. Slit the fuel line, inserted the plastic which came from a cooler tray the filled with 5200 and used 5200 to glue it to the hull. Works great and no drilling. Just need to clean up the excess 5200 after it dries.

IMG_0542.jpg

I called Garmin and they do have a deflector.  Do you know how long it is from hull to end of deflector ?  I have an issue if the deflector goes to the end of the transducer.  My stick pin holder comes down by end of the transducer.  I may just have to go to a through hull (inside hull) transducer.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, polliwog said:

Just received my spray deflector from Garmin,easy install, maybe 10 minutes or less.  All screws fit the transducer holes perfectly.  Next week we'll give it a try out, I'll report back.

That's the same as mine....no mess installation...works great ! Here is a picture of the shield installed 

IMG_7369.JPG

Just to finish off my post on spray problem with new transducer .  I took the boat out today and found my spray problem is gone with the spray deflector  from Garmin.  Great $20 expenditure.  I took her up to 30 MPH and not spray,problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Archived