Repowering - the big question

mminassian

Well the boat was dropped off at the mechanic tonight but now the big question looms. What size motor to pick for the repower.

ive got an 02 21 MA. I know when they were made they had from the factory a max 225 but there's no plate anywhere on the boat stating that. 

So initially I was thinking a 250 Pro XS. But now my crazy head is bouncing around the idea of a 300 XS racing and I figured I would toss it out to the smart people on the forum for some guidance. 

To make the discussion somewhat fair take the cost of the motor out of the equation.

what would you do if it was your boat?

So currently the boat has a 200 vmax on it that I think a gear went out on the lower and that's why the boat is at the mechanic. The plan is to get that fixed and post the motor up for sale and once it sells then do the repower. 

Lap it up what defines the coast guard limit? Is it the formula? I thought that was for only boats under 20ft?

this stuff is all new to me so working my way through everything 

Go to bbcboards.com and take a look at all of problems the bass boat guys have with optimax motors.  I have owned 2 optis.....never again for me.  Injector faults every other time out, fuel rails, belt tensioner spring broke 4 times....can't run the compressor without it, coils, low oil alarm when it was completely full,  2 power heads.......all covered under warranty but you're still stuck on land while your down.  It's kind of like in the movie Tommy Boy when the guy says if you want me to take a crap in a box and mark it guaranteed then I will, I have spare time.

Everyone makes a bad motor now and then...I am on my second Opti 200XS and have not had any issues at all......burns alcohol gas...no problems at all....I'll buy another!

I owned Yamaha's for years.....115hp was the best motor anyone ever made.....just say'n.

so if I had 10 reasons why I want to repower a decent chunk of the reasons are because it's a Yamaha. I grew up with mercury's and particularly a 90hp that survived two teenage boys beating the crap out of it every day of summer for about 10 years so I'm kind of partial to mercury.

it also doesn't hurt that my mechanic is a Mercury guy and is cutting me some good deals on rigging etc.

on the other hand my best friend is a Yamaha guy and tells me to repower with a Yamaha 😂

Some great info here, still on the fence about a lot though so keep the info coming.

how much of a difference do you think there will be between a 225 and a 250?

You obviously aren't worried about this since you are repowering a 15 year old boat but when I am looking at boats an Optimax instead of a 4 stroke is a big move on sign to me. Bayboats and offshore boats with newer Optimax motors seem to sit for sale for a long time. Boats with the manufacturer's preferred brand move much faster and will have better resale than anything else for some reason.

Seems to me that you have, or will have, a workable engine.  It's a new to you boat.  My advice would be to sit on this for awhile, get to know the boat and it's quirKS and charachteristics.  Pay attention to how she sits with the current motor, that will help you decide.  Nothing worse than a boat that takes water over the stern in a little chop.  Pay attention to how she runs and what trim she needs.  You will find that regardless of the engine YOU want, the boat may have its own opinion.  You have the luxury of tI'm and a good budget, use both to your advantage, or you may end up repowering twice!

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Seems to me that you have, or will have, a workable engine.  It's a new to you boat.  My advice would be to sit on this for awhile, get to know the boat and it's quirKS and charachteristics.  Pay attention to how she sits with the current motor, that will help you decide.  Nothing worse than a boat that takes water over the stern in a little chop.  Pay attention to how she runs and what trim she needs.  You will find that regardless of the engine YOU want, the boat may have its own opinion.  You have the luxury of tI'm and a good budget, use both to your advantage, or you may end up repowering twice!

Great post!! So the 250 pro xs torque master weighs roughly 30 pounds more than the 200 hpdi. So hopefully 30 pounds shouldn't affect the way it sits in the water.

the plan is once the lower is fixed to post the motor for sale and use the boat until the motor sells and then do the repower. So that should give me some stick time with the boat to feel it out.

On December 16, 2016 at 9:18 PM, bdsnook said:

Everyone makes a bad motor now and then...I am on my second Opti 200XS and have not had any issues at all......burns alcohol gas...no problems at all....I'll buy another!

I owned Yamaha's for years.....115hp was the best motor anyone ever made.....just say'n.

The boat will run awesome with a 250XS.  Definitely post some pics and data once you re-power. 

Archived