Cobia 19 Bay

Diver_GT

I am hoping someone from MBC can chime in on what the proper shaft length for a 150 yamaha 4-stroke on a 2011 19 bay SE would be. The cobia website says the 19 Bay, not the 19 Bay SE, has a 20" transom. The website doesn't list the 19 Bay SE but a dealer is telling me it's a 25" transom and takes a motor with a 25" shaft. Which I would agree with but I'm not convinced it's a 25" transom. I didn't bring a tape to try and measure the transom so figured I would call but didn't have a chance today so here I am tonight. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

You should get the final answer from MBC, but my 19 Bay has a 25" shaft 115 on it. The Pathfinder 2000V has a 20" shaft motor on it. I have always wondered because they both list a 20" transom. Interested in the MBC response. Of course if Skip answers it will be a one or two word answer that will leave you more confused than when you started.

While we're waiting on the professionals to reply let me ask you how does that boat run with that 115? A buddy of mine has the same boat and motor you do but he hasn't tweaked anything. Can you tell me what hole the motor is mounted in and what prop you are running? He put a hydrofoil fin on his to help with the porpoising but you still can't trim it out right. His motor is set all the way down I'm not sure what prop he is running.

We use the same propeller that NC's running, Diver, the SCD4. Its sternlifting characteristics have worked well on that combination. Now, as far as trimming, you won't trim this sort of application in "b*** boat" fashion, since that will accentuate the imbalance. I could give you chapter'n'verse, but that would probably be better over the phone, as it would take too long in writing. Feel free to drop me a call any time.

Ok, gotta get cleaned-up and get to the office, gang. Workaholism, thy name is Monkey! heheheheh

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

While we're waiting on the professionals to reply let me ask you how does that boat run with that 115? A buddy of mine has the same boat and motor you do but he hasn't tweaked anything. Can you tell me what hole the motor is mounted in and what prop you are running? He put a hydrofoil fin on his to help with the porpoising but you still can't trim it out right. His motor is set all the way down I'm not sure what prop he is running.

My motor is all the way down. Pete Jorgensen sold me the boat with the PT prop and he knows what he is doing. Hence do not have anything to compare to. I occasionally have some porpoising when there is a light chop, more like the hull is just bouncing from one wave to the next, but a touch on the tabs cures it. Like FM said, the trim is about useless except to put the motor up while using the trolling motor or trailering. Seems like the motor could use some positive wedge, tucking the motor under the boat a little more. I keep debating on putting a jack plate on with positive wedge. Pete says it will be fine. Overall the 115 is a little on the underpowered side for this boat, but it still does OK and goes 40 mph on a good day. Hole shot is somewhat pitiful, but for my use it works. Had a hot rod b*** boat before, but I'm over that. I still need a skinny water skiff and I'll be happy (and maybe a few more fly rods).

• 1 year later...

I'm running a Reliance 13.75 x 19 with an F150 sitting all the way down on the transom. I have tons of trim but curious if I could raise it a hole or 2.

I also think a negative wedge wouldn't hurt, but I'm fine.

Loving the 25" transom last weekend snapper fishing backing down into the seas.

• 1 month later...

I can run about two inches up with my Jackplate, but it will blow out in an abrupt turn. Not sure if always having it higher would be a good thing. I only raise it for longer runs for a bit more efficiency, or shallow spots. I can run higher at slow planing speeds for shallow spots.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived