A1-15 fuel line replacement interval?

jason p

So I'm about to do my December water pump replacement and tidy-up maintenance and was wondering if any of y'all have heard of a recommended replacement interval for the A1-15 fuel lines?

Also I can't get a straight answer from Yamaha if they are recommending a replacement interval for the engine fuel lines (all the lines between the filter and the fuel rail)

With the "industry" constantly changing their stance on ethanol blended fuel I just wonder sometimes. I read that now instead of keeping the tank full to mitigate condensation you should only put the amount of gas you need for your next trip. For those of us who fish in the middle of nowhere or offshore this obviously isn't good practice.

It's all about condensate. Use it or loose it. The fuel tank breaths and sweats. The more the surface is open the more it can condensate.

Beer cans sweat on the outside all day. Empty ones will as well on the inside. Just my observation. Take your boat out in a cold environment and have a weather shift to 70 plus dew points and see what happens. I'm fairly good at physics.

E fuel has a very high affinity to moisture. It will grab it and phase separate.

The boat is used quite a bit, probably 15-20 gallons of gas thru it a week. I do fill it to the brim after every trip (don't tell the EPA but it spills out of the vent a little each time as well). Fortunately we have REC-90 all over the place down here. Just looking if anyone has pulled any of the A1-15 lines and cut one open and looked after a few years. 

I just got an idea. I have quite a bit of slack between the fuel/water separator and the primer bulb. I think I'm gonna cut a couple inches out and take a look. 

I'm not too worried about it, however. I'm not the original owner so for the first 18 months of the boats life there's no telling. I'm sure there was ethanol used at some point in some meaningful quantity evidenced when I pulled the VST apart at 500 hrs to replace the filter. The grommet that locates the pump in the VST lid was all swollen and brittle. There was also some corrosion (very minor, if there is such a thing when talking about fuel injection) on the bottom of the VST tank where it looks like water had settled for awhile and then was collected in the filter. 

Archived