Leak! Help!

BowMovements

Ok so I'm posting this in general and Hewes to hopefully get some advice from you guys. I have a 1996 red fisher 19' and have a leak somewhere. It takes on water moving or stationary, seemingly more while moving. I've connected hoses to the livewell high speed hookups and don't seem to get any leaks with those hoses although I have replaced 2 ruhle livewell pumps because the keep disconnecting from the housing and water shoots out the top (obviously this has been repaired and longer leaks). I have filled the hull up with a hose from the anchor hatch and rear access hatch and no water drained out through any cracks or holes in the hull. I am going to see tonight if it could be the drain hoses for the livewells, my plan is to fill the wells with the plugs in the pull the plugs and see if anything comes out the drain hole in the hull. I am also in the process of replacing the hose and fitting for the bilge exit with a checkvalve but since I get the leak while running and stopped I can't imagine it's all coming in from that fitting. Any other ideas or things to try? 

Look at the drain scuppers on each side of the hull if yours has that type (it drains the water from inner console to the outside of the boat on the side). They were done with a PVC pipe to connect the inner hull to the outer and sealed with 5200 sealant. Over the years the sealant shrinks and causes a small leak that is almost impossible to find!!

Thanks for both suggestions, lurem I know exactly the area your referring to. John I'm a little confused on yours. I believe that the drain for my livewells are white hosing that runs to the stern and drains out of 2 white thruhull fittings. Are you saying when you turn the higspeed pickup valves off that they will still fill with water via the white throughull drains?

If it leaks at rest then you have to check all hoses and fittings that are below the waterline

The drain hoses for the live well are full at rest with no check valve so to check them I would plug the two holes  under the hull and fill the live well look over condition of the hose and all fittings and clamps. 

Don't overlook the obvious which is the drain plug fitting itself. 

Yes, the white plastic hose that goes from live well drain to the thru hull.  Found mine slightly off at the thru hull connection.  Not obvious at all...drove me nuts.  I replaced.  The thru hull, I think I remember,  has a 90 degree swivel elbow that contributed to the problem.  It drains below water level, so at rest water also comes in.  

Archived