Camping and Fishing in the ENP- UPDATE/REPORT

what a great report !!!  I feel as though I was with you.....

Memories for a life-time.....glad you made it back and stayed on the chickees...as you saw from the storm that fired up...imagine if you are beach camping...things can get nasty in just a manner of hours....sound like you did all the right things....went slow, stayed safe, and had great outdoor adventure...

I admire you all that camp...I don't have the interest, but, enjoy reading and seeing the pictures.....as I always say...camping for me is Everglades City Hotel (LOL).

DC

I think we were in the S Joe chikee the night after you guys left, it's truly a one of a kind place that has to be experienced to fully appreciate. We spend quite a few winter nights out there. My wife and I love it so much that we moved from Jacksonville to the Redlands, 10 miles from the park entrance (South side) Most of our friends and family thought we were crazy but people that have spent time in the ENP can probably understand. If you like to fish the way we do it's pretty much a no-brainer. 

46 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Spent 4 days there .

Home away from home .

Bugs are standard issue .

Nuttin Whiskey cant cure !

🇺🇸☠

I spent some time on da Island....Parris Island dat is....no whiskey for us and da no-seemus....imagine standing at attention for hours on end, early in the morning, dem little buggers humming and buzz'n in da ears and up your nostrals...... and not being able to flinch :(

ugggh....

Marines don't need no stickin'n whiskey (LOL)...but, now, 40 years later...i'm sure I'd be sipping a few chugs :)

that's why my camping is the famous Everglades City Motel....A/C, fresh ICE, breakfast at the Island Cafe, hot coffee, and getting to see the pretty bait babe - Alana when DonH and get our Shrimps at the EC baitshop (LOL).

dc

Our Russian buddy, Viktor, has an Instagram account where he posted some observations from his trip which began in Choko. He paddled the back and we ran into him at the South Joe one night. He had taken two weeks off work to get "reconnected" with nature. He paddled on ti Flamingo where he cleaned up, had some normal food and went back to Choko on the outside. Until he ran into us, his trip consisted of protien bars and water. We fed him fresh fish, fried taters and bottomless starbucks Christmas blend coffee in a camping french press. Never seen anyone drink that much coffee. 

I think his post about the coffee is as accurate of a statement on what getting out there and hanging with good people is all about. In the pic below, Jeff, the Everglades Barista, is enjoying his breakfast and brewing up some coffee as we see the sun rising over his shoulder.  In the video below that is Jeff cleaning some fish on the back of his battle ship Mav.  

Rubble,

You guys are DA Bomb....great posts about your adventures !!!

Love the coffee thing....

Capt DonH and I are using the 36 oz yeti on our trips....I have some high quality coffee I bought on my trips to Latin America that you can't get in the US from last year and I grind it up and make it for our morning drive to Choko and then on in the boat....

I always boil water and pour it into the Yetti and let it sit for about 2 minutes, then I get the coffee to just below boil and pour it into the Yetti.  It hold for about 6-8 hours at hot, and 8-10 hours at "warm".    Starting off at 0500, we normally have hot coffee till mid dayl

dc

21 hours ago, conocean said:

Great posts, Rubble!!! Glad ya'll had a blast. We are definitely spoiled down here. I just got back from 8 days in Choko and I can't wait to go back this weekend!

How far south do you run?  I just felt like we passed up a lot of action but we did find a nice spot or two that we had hookups about every cast during the outgoing. Lots of good looking spots around Choko.

5 minutes ago, rubble said:

How far south do you run?  I just felt like we passed up a lot of action but we did find a nice spot or two that we had hookups about every cast during the outgoing. Lots of good looking spots around Choko.

I've caught big reds within site of Choko (LOL)....no need to run 30 miles....secret spots :)   I know Paul knows exactly where I'm speaking of...

But, your adventure is part of the fun of the ENP....it's not about catching a few fish...it's about the beauty and fellowship.

You probably passed 1MM redfish from Choko to the Harney (LOL)....

Most of DonH and my best days have been within 12 miles of Choko, out near Pavillon, Mouth of Chatham, the bights, Joe Kemp Key, Clam Point, and spots between...

DC

1 hour ago, rubble said:

We didn't make it south of Porpoise Pt. Never had to. We stayed on a few schools of reds and blacks all week and fished a few miles from Choko 3 of the days. Mostly sightfishing. Lots of tailers. Every place you see in the ENP is a "spot" at some point of the tide, every day!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:04 AM, jason p said:

I think we were in the S Joe chikee the night after you guys left, it's truly a one of a kind place that has to be experienced to fully appreciate. We spend quite a few winter nights out there. My wife and I love it so much that we moved from Jacksonville to the Redlands, 10 miles from the park entrance (South side) Most of our friends and family thought we were crazy but people that have spent time in the ENP can probably understand. If you like to fish the way we do it's pretty much a no-brainer. 

Hence the reason I've got a 2nd residence in Choko. My wife (at the time) thought I was nuts (and maybe I am) but I'm surely happier with having a place in the ENP! It's awesome to camp the backcountry for a few nites then go back "home" to Choko. B| 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived