Transom access for powerpole

MPFit

I've got an 06 Hewes RF18. The powerpole bolts onto the transom starboard side to the right and above the trim tabs on the transom. Before I start drilling the holes- I can't seem to find a good way to get access past the trim tab inside the bildge. Anyone else do this on their own or am I in need of some extra long specialized tools?!

Thanks!

I don't know if the redfisher is made on the same type of structure as the Light tackle, if it is there is a gap between the interior of battery compartment and the transom.  My poling platform attached to the transom started to leak and was onlyattached by lag bolts.  Boat yard  drilled 2inch holes in the inner liner to allow  through bolting of the platform.

You may find you need to do the same thing to thru bolt direct to the transom.  I wouldn't want to thru bolt between the inner core and the outer transom space gap.

Be careful, I just drilled mine in same location and took out my bilge hose. I had to cut an access in the battery box to fix the hose and to tighten the nuts down. There is a void between box and transom. I didn't want to take a chance of it braking the battery box and doing damage.

Matt

3 hours ago, fin-addict said:

my installer said he would install a small pie plate to bolt directly to transom due to the void. 

This is what I did on my 99 MA. The New MA was done at the factory and it appears it was accessed behind the battery switch. There is a void and you need to get behind the liner to properly mount the PP.

No jack plate. Engine bracket is out also due to Poling Platform. So I'm gonna revisit the installation tomorrow. After thinking, new plan is to create an access panel in the battery box to achieve access to the transom. Will save the cutout and put a rim around it and some screws to create the 'panel'. Remove battery, will need an extra set of hands to hold pole, install bolts, and hold the back nuts on inside of transom. The cost of install is just crazy to me considering how easy they actually are.

Yes I already made a plate out of aluminum and predrilled holes. Will 5200 it once location is decided. I'll probably be mounting mine lower than normal at just above the water line. Keeping 4" above bottom per powerpole; I'm going to try and keep top of pole level with top of poling platform for garage clearance.

1 hour ago, MPFit said:

Yes I already made a plate out of aluminum and predrilled holes. Will 5200 it once location is decided. I'll probably be mounting mine lower than normal at just above the water line. Keeping 4" above bottom per powerpole; I'm going to try and keep top of pole level with top of poling platform for garage clearance.

You can always lower the PP slightly when entering the garage :)

dc

I know, but per powerpole it doesn't hurt anything to be at waterline, or closer to it (I think I'll have half an inch clearance) as long as I make the 4" clearance from bottom of boat (for handling reasons they said). I'll be 5inch above top of trim tab gap, 6inch above hull bottom per my current planned location. It's still an easy inch or two below hull ID plate common location for mounting.

will be doing it today most likely and I'll throw some pics of what I find.

agree with 5200 I bolted mine to the integrated plate in  the hull of my HPX micro drilled tapped etc.  only use 5200 to seal around bolts do not bond it down with 5200.  I used pure silicone for the interface AND 5200 on the bolts.  I removed mine once to add a shim to get it vertical(it was a PP micro) but no issue removing would likely not have be so easy to remove with 5200. 

I recently installed through hull mounting for my 6' PP on an 01' HPX T. I used 316 threaded stainless rod, couldn't find 13" stainless bolts, plus starboard and aluminum plate backing. I originally installed the 6' PP in 2007 through the transom only. Wish I had gone through the hull then. I was getting spider cracks in the gel coat around the PP base. Like Sly said, when in doubt through bolt. On using 5200. I used 5200 on the PP base on my original install in 07'. Marine Formula Debond softened it right up and I was able to remove it easily. 

Power Pole makes various sizes of engine mount brackets to compensate if additional side and aft offsets are needed to cleat the poling platform.  Worked like a charm for mounting my 8ft Power Pole.  Got lots of clearance from the poling platform, and no additional holes in the hull.

Thanks for all the input guys! Install went smooth. Need some 5200 touch up later on the hydraulic lines going through transom. Then zip tie the sleeve.

A hole drill took care of access issue. Two second fix as well. Cleaned up the box a little with battery out. Soldered some connections that looked bad- re-greased (dielectric) the terminals and all that fun stuff. Worked perfectly. 

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

Archived