Redfisher 16 (2017), Yamaha VF115 SHO, Merc SpitFire 17P 4-blade

geeviam

Re-posting to place the topic on the forum correctly... thanks.

Redfisher 16 (2017), Yamaha VF115 SHO, Atlas 6" Jack Plate + (1/2" wedge), Merc SpitFire X7 17P 4-blade

See attached chart for test results.  Out of 10 props tested, these 7 props made it to the final report.  Many well-deserved thanks go out to Dale Carter (lurem), a fellow RF 16 owner and prop guru who loaned me three of his own custom propellers to use for testing.  Also, many thanks to Skip Lyshon at MBG and the staff at Bay Marine Inc. for all their help, expert advice, and prop swapping.

This is the first and only Redfisher 16, so far, to be ordered with a factory rigged 115 VMAX SHO.  It's slightly heavier than the 4-stroke 90, so the boat sits a bit lower on the stern.  But, I don't care about draft where I fish.  The goal here was to find the perfect prop which would utilize the strong performance of the SHO, and minimize porpoising and cavitation in turns at higher speeds.  After many trials, there was a clear winner - the Mercury SpitFire X7 Alloy 4-blade.  The only difficult choice then, was pitch size.  I chose the 17 pitch because I plan to add more weight to the boat.  I tried different PVS port plug inserts but ended up going with the solid plugs because porting is not needed on the 4-stroke SHO.  Porting is more beneficial for hole shot on a 2-stroke.  The SpitFire X7 does not break loose in turns.  It handles and accelerates like a slot car.  Throttle response is immediate.  Hole Shot is 3 seconds (or less).  Best fuel economy was 7.9 MPG at 3800 RPM.  Porpoising has been minimized.  Prop slip is 4%.

Gary

Prop_Tests5.pdf

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_A.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_B.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_D.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 12/8/2016 at 1:32 PM, geeviam said:

Re-posting to place the topic on the forum correctly... thanks.

Redfisher 16 (2017), Yamaha VF115 SHO, Atlas 6" Jack Plate + (1/2" wedge), Merc SpitFire X7 17P 4-blade

See attached chart for test results.  Out of 10 props tested, these 7 props made it to the final report.  Many well-deserved thanks go out to Dale Carter (lurem), a fellow RF 16 owner and prop guru who loaned me three of his own custom propellers to use for testing.  Also, many thanks to Skip Lyshon at MBG and the staff at Bay Marine Inc. for all their help, expert advice, and prop swapping.

This is the first and only Redfisher 16, so far, to be ordered with a factory rigged 115 VMAX SHO.  It's slightly heavier than the 4-stroke 90, so the boat sits a bit lower on the stern.  But, I don't care about draft where I fish.  The goal here was to find the perfect prop which would utilize the strong performance of the SHO, and minimize porpoising and cavitation in turns at higher speeds.  After many trials, there was a clear winner - the Mercury SpitFire X7 Alloy 4-blade.  The only difficult choice then, was pitch size.  I chose the 17 pitch because I plan to add more weight to the boat.  I tried different PVS port plug inserts but ended up going with the solid plugs because porting is not needed on the 4-stroke SHO.  Porting is more beneficial for hole shot on a 2-stroke.  The SpitFire X7 does not break loose in turns.  It handles and accelerates like a slot car.  Throttle response is immediate.  Hole Shot is 3 seconds (or less).  Best fuel economy was 7.9 MPG at 3800 RPM.  Porpoising has been minimized.  Prop slip is 4%.

Gary

Prop_Tests5.pdf

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_A.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_B.jpg

Merc_SpitFire_X7_17p_D.jpg

Wow that's impressive. I have been looking for a solution to my prop issues and looks like this is it. I have an 07 RF 16 with an F115 with the powertech SCD4 17P . My top end rpms are right on but its sluggish out of the hole. Im very impressed with your #'s. The  XC7 cuts on plane time from 7 seconds with the scd4 to 4 seconds with the xc7!!!! Nuff said. I have one ordered and on the way!

I cant tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your data  

thank you

54 minutes ago, Mplante said:

Wow that's impressive. I have been looking for a solution to my prop issues and looks like this is it. I have an 07 RF 16 with an F115 with the powertech SCD4 17P . My top end rpms are right on but its sluggish out of the hole. Im very impressed with your #'s. The  XC7 cuts on plane time from 7 seconds with the scd4 to 4 seconds with the xc7!!!! Nuff said. I have one ordered and on the way!

I cant tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your data  

thank you

Thank you.  The hole-shot with the SpitFire X7 17P is unbeatable for our rig in my book.  Fyi, the Yamaha Talon SS 19P 3-blade is also a great prop for top-speed (52 mph) and cruising, and it has a slight edge in fuel economy compared to the SpitFire X7 17P.  I use the SpitFire X7 for power and hole-shot and hot weather, and I use the Talon SS for speed and colder weather.

On 5/24/2017 at 12:06 PM, Mplante said:

What hole is your motor mounted on? I dropped mine all the way down to try and get more prop in the water and its harder to get on plane. Im going to  move it back to #2 position. 

My setup is sort of unusual (pics attached).  I was fighting prop blowout on turns and porpoising issues, so I added the Atlas jack plate with a 2.5" setback spacer and 1/2" wedge.  This setup kept the prop at about the same height but placed it back into cleaner water.  Normally, a jack plate raises the motor at least 1.5" on the transom.  I'm planning to make some significant changes to the setup and balance of the boat again.  Part of the plan is to reduce the setback, thereby reducing stern squat.  I'll keep you posted on the results.  IMO, the Redfisher 16 transom was designed so that the motor should be mounted all the way down, as low as possible.  Any upward motor mount adjustment will result in loss of grip, especially in turns.  You are better off tweaking the performance with the right propeller.  Just some advice and opinion.  Hope it helps.

Thanks for the pics. I had a 6" Bobs jackplate and ended up taking it off. It was harder to get on plane and was essentially useless because the prop would loose grip if I jacked it up. That and that heavy F115 was hanging even further off the back. Even without it I can't hardly trim the motor up on this boat. When I dropped the motor down all the way it grips  better in turns but now its more sluggish getting on plane and I have to run a little tab or it porpoises. When I take off out of the hole the bow points up in the air lol. So im thinking of going back to the #2 hole. My cranking battery is under the console and I have 2 trolling motor batteries in the front compartment btw. 

It does look like your jack plate sits lower than mine did too. 

3 hours ago, geeviam said:

Thank you.  The hole-shot with the SpitFire X7 17P is unbeatable for our rig in my book.  Fyi, the Yamaha Talon SS 19P 3-blade is also a great prop for top-speed (52 mph) and cruising, and it has a slight edge in fuel economy compared to the SpitFire X7 17P.  I use the SpitFire X7 for power and hole-shot and hot weather, and I use the Talon SS for speed and colder weather.

Running 52 MPH with a 19 pitch Talon with a lower unit ratio of 2.15 is very very impressive.  Your running 47 MPH with a 17 pitch and 52 MPH  with a 19 talon that thing is set up pretty good .  Joe R

34 minutes ago, Mplante said:

Thanks for the pics. I had a 6" Bobs jackplate and ended up taking it off. It was harder to get on plane and was essentially useless because the prop would loose grip if I jacked it up. That and that heavy F115 was hanging even further off the back. Even without it I can't hardly trim the motor up on this boat. When I dropped the motor down all the way it grips  better in turns but now its more sluggish getting on plane and I have to run a little tab or it porpoises. When I take off out of the hole the bow points up in the air lol. So im thinking of going back to the #2 hole. My cranking battery is under the console and I have 2 trolling motor batteries in the front compartment btw. 

It does look like your jack plate sits lower than mine did too. 

Your attempts at getting it right are very familiar to me.  Just a suggestion FWIW... You could try installing a 1/2" wedge to get more negative trim and then moving the motor to the #2 hole might not be needed.  This might sound crazy, but I've heard in some cases where moving the trolling motor batteries from the forward compartment to the center console actually helped reduce porpoising.  I'm not sure I believe it but it might be worth a try.

41 minutes ago, dabear said:

Running 52 MPH with a 19 pitch Talon with a lower unit ratio of 2.15 is very very impressive.  Your running 47 MPH with a 17 pitch and 52 MPH  with a 19 talon that thing is set up pretty good .  Joe R

Thanks Joe.  The final testing with the 17 pitch SpitFire 4-blade reached 49 MPH on the GPS (full tank of gas, light load - just me on board).  The prop slip numbers are very impressive indeed!

The bigger question here is why hasn't Hewes figureed all this *** out before selling the boat?  I mean what are these things brand-new like $40,000 ?  At that price it shouldn't  be blowing out and turns  

Its a lot  of testing and guess  work on the customers part  

The boat didnt have porpoising issues until I lowered the motor. Im going to start off back at #2 a d try the new prop and go from there. Theres so many variables involved. I can try moving the batteries temporarily and see if that helps. I have them all neatly rigged now and hate to have to rerig.  Thank you for the info lets keep this thread going with updates as we try different things. 

Do you have a set of rabbit ears that fit your SHO 115 to fresh water flush ?  My 2017 SHO 115 has a lot more water holes in the lower unit than the other yamahas I have had . Yamaha says to use a fresh water flush bag if the lower unit has several holes. Where can you buy the flush bag ? I just found and ordered one from Amazon last one they had bad news is they are $195.00 . Joe R

You're right.  I bought one with rectangular ears at Academy Sports and it barely covers up the holes if you adjust it perfectly.  However, I had trouble getting the motor to throw a pee-stream.  I saw a youtube video by Capt. Drew Cavanaugh on the best way to flush the Yamaha F115.  He uses a garden hose "Y" valve to run two hoses to the motor - one connected to the rabbit ears and one connected to the flush connection on the motor (base of the cowling - port side).  When I used this method, there was enough water flow to the impeller and the motor instantly threw a good stream.

What about a good ole 55 gallon plastic drum cut down?  That is what I used when I had my old 115.  The gear case on my current motor is bigger so now I just use a trough when I run the motor. Both are cheap and work well.  As a bonus you have a redneck jacuzzi to cool off in when you done with the boat. 

IMG_20150815_112432_954.thumb.jpg.4eb01e849ca7e0588d651355d975fdb8.jpg

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, RipLips said:

Thanks for taking the time to post you prop tests. Just took delivery of my 2018 hewes 16 with 115 sho w/ the spitefire prop.  Absolutely love the boat and the ride.

Great looking RF 16!  I like the matching color on the topside and black powdercoat to match the SHO.  I think this makes it official - there are now two Redfisher 16s with factory rigged VF115 SHOs.  It's been a great boat for us.  My wife loves that it is a stable fishing platform and hardly moves, even when walking the gunnels.  It looks and behaves like a larger boat but fits in my 21' deep garage with room to spare.  Great performance and gets 7+ MPG @ 34 MPH.  It always gets a lot of looks and compliments at the boat ramp from Bass fishermen on the lakes here in SC.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy your new boat as much as we have!

RF16_060717.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, geeviam said:

Great looking RF 16!  I like the matching color on the topside and black powdercoat to match the SHO.  I think this makes it official - there are now two Redfisher 16s with factory rigged VF115 SHOs.  It's been a great boat for us.  My wife loves that it is a stable fishing platform and hardly moves, even when walking the gunnels.  It looks and behaves like a larger boat but fits in my 21' deep garage with room to spare.  Great performance and gets 7+ MPG @ 34 MPH.  It always gets a lot of looks and compliments at the boat ramp from Bass fishermen on the lakes here in SC.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy your new boat as much as we have!

RF16_060717.jpg

May I please ask how tall that motor is , tilted like that ?

Hoping mine will fit under the poling platform .

🇺🇸☠️

24 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

May I please ask how tall that motor is , tilted like that ?

Hoping mine will fit under the poling platform .

🇺🇸☠️

The boat is tight up against the back wall of the garage right now so I can't tilt it up to measure.  I'm going to pull the boat out and wash it tomorrow.  I'll post the measurement then.

Archived