20' Pathfnder electrical help

david Terry

Hello:

I recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder. Over the winter I'm going to maybe take a look at replacing wireing, but in the meantime i noticed that the radio turns off when i crank the engine. I have two batteries, and run the switch on the 2 setting. Can anyone give me a sense of what I should be looking to change so that the radio isnt impacted by the engine? My depth finder does not seem to be affected in the same way by the way.

thanks a lot

32 minutes ago, rubble said:

You probably just have a loose ground somewhere?

Also, over time, connections, fuse holders, wires, etc. can loosen or build up small amounts of corrosion which can lower the voltage to the electronics.  Then, when you crank the engine, which requires a huge amount of battery power, it can cause a drop to some of the electronics, which will cycle off, then back on.  You will always notice that this cycling off never happens on new boats.  Because.........the connections, junctions, fusing, wiring, etc. is all new. 

Some components are very sensitive to even slight drops in voltage.  I know many of us power our sonar/gps units directly from the batteries to avoid just this happening.  I had to re-wire the radio my nephews brand new Tidewater because it was doing the same thing.  The dealer powered it through the fuse box.  Direct wiring the radio to the battery with an in-line fuse solved the problem for him.

This is common especially with 4 strokes... troubleshoot connections just to be sure but if all good and you want it to stay on wire it direct to a battery is the only way to stop it.  that's what I did and added a small switchable breaker like for TM's to be able to switch it off when boat is not in use

On 12/8/2016 at 11:06 AM, koondog said:

Is this a big issue?  Because I actually have a 2005 20 pathfinder and mine does the exact same thing. 

I have an 06 2000v and I actually had some engine and electronic issues. Turns out thw main ground at the engine was loose. That fixed the majority of the issues but I ended up running a fuse direct to crank battery for radio and Garmin gpsfinder. 

Archived