1998 Hewes Bayfisher 16' Yamaha 90 HP 2 stroke

lurem

• 2 weeks later...

Lurem.....this experiment/search began by trying to stop a bad cavitation issue and improve speed and hole shot if possible.....so working on everything here.

Started out with a Stiletto 13.5d X 15p 3 blade....5400rpm at WOT, 34.75 mph with bad cavitation/slippage in turns at all trim levels.....mediocre hole shot

Moved to a 13d X 14p 4 blade.....5900-6000 rpm at WOT, 33mph.....better hole shot and grip but still some slippage

Moved to a 13d X 15p 4 blade.....5800 rpm, 34 mph......good hole shot and gripping pretty good when trimmed all the way down.

With a top operating rpm of 5500....I'm trying to decide if 16p is my next move....or even a 17p????  Appears I'm only dropping about 150 rpms with each pitch increase.

Just looking for any and all info or ideas......

dale has been bugging me to post this since we tested on christmas eve :P

i have a 90 2 stroke and a 13x15 turbo 3 blade prop and the other day while testing with dale it did 39.5mph at 5800rpm. thats pretty typical, though it will occasionally go 40.5 at 6000 rpm. holeshot is fantastic (as dale found out ;) ) considering its a 3 blade. grip is decent with regular trim but really trimmed out it is only good for straight line basically, any steering input causes it to blow out.

I tested a 4 blade prop (i dont remember the details but Dale will since it was his prop) and it did everything worse (except grip while trimmed out) than my 3 blade. 31.9 mph at 5500 rpm, slower holeshot. it seemed to have more sternlift though as the boat felt higher in the water. Dale watched as i went by and said that he also thought the boat seemed higher in the rear than with the 3 blade.

The other prop we tested was  powertech PFS 14 pitch 4 blade. Since Dave (Hawk232) was in the ballpark on his RPM's I thought this prop would be the ticket. It was one pitch smaller but had 4 blades instead of 3. In theory they say to drop a pitch when going to a 4 blade of the same diameter. The RPM's came down a touch but the speed suffered by 7 mph. The PFS prop was not ported so that and the fact it was a 4 blade (better grip) could account for the slower holeshot? Maybe the prop design, rake, etc was just not right for this hull/engine combo.

Maybe some others could weigh in?

The TURBO prop does seem to be the best prop for this combo. Maybe the PTR like Marshfly mentions is a good bet too.

My Redfisher 16 has a Yama 115 so I can't be sure on recommending pitch.  But from what I'm hearing, grip is a big factor.  With Dale's (Lurem's) help this past Summer, I was able to test a bunch of props.  The best 3-blade, for grip, was the Yamaha Talon SS.  The best 4-blade, for grip, was the Merc SpitFire X7.  Both are good for bow lift and hole-shot, and allow plenty of trim.
My guess at the best fit for Hegg's 90-hp setup would be the 13.13 x 16P Talon SS, or the 13.5 x 15P SpitFire X7.  I was fortunate to be able to "Try before Buy" on my boat.  Hopefully Hegg might/could find a loaner or trial prop as well.  I have not tried one yet, but have read good reviews on the PTR3 that Marshfly mentioned too.

Guys....thanks for the input here.  We fish in a lot of winding rivers and creeks and also shallow water so the grip/cavitation issue and hole shot are my two primary areas of concern.....but it would be nice to also add some speed.  I've been working with the guys at PowerTech and Jeff at Olympic Propeller and using their exchange program to try and get it right.  Will keep y'all posted on how this goes.....

• 4 months later...

Ok....Here's where I ended up.  I actually found a local prop shop with some great technical experience and history with PowerTech.  I went with a ported SCD 13D X 16P 4-blade with some cup added.  I also upgraded my GPS.  Ran the boat last Sunday on a fishing trip fully loaded out....full tank of fuel (30g), 2 adults and one child, ice chests, tackle, etc..... actually more junk than I prefer!!!

It ran 38 mph at 5600 RPMs under that load condition.  Grip is a lot better in turns....not perfect, but clearly better.  I'm happy and hopes this helps.....

Archived