Hewes Redfisher 16 Hull changes

Chuck59

I'm looking for any information on possible hull changes to the Hewes Redfisher between 2001 and 2003. I have a 2003 Redfisher 16 with a 90 2-stroke.My boat  had porpoising and cavitation issues which I resolved with a different prop. My friend has a 2001 Redfisher 16 with a 2-stroke 90 Yamaha. At WOT on my boat,  I turn 5200 RPM's and run 40.2 mph loaded with gear, full tank, and 2 people.  The 2001 with the same setup, and using my prop, runs 5400 RPM at WOT, but only runs 35 MPH. The 2001 did not have porpoising issues, but did cavitate regardless of trim. The 2003 only cavitated with the motor trimmed up. I think there must be a difference in the hulls.  Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know about design changes but there are other factors to consider.

What is the motor setup like on each boat. A higher setup should give more rpm but could be having more slip and causing a decrease in speed.

If both motors are old the compression may be a factor in the torque they produce.

Another overlooked factor in porpoising is a set or hook in the transom from improper trailer setup. Today's stringers and structural support decrease this but an older boat can develop a set from the trailer. Another cause could be manufacturing, was the hull removed too soon from the mould or did it sit on a dolly unsupported. These are factors that were not always considered in the older days.

8 hours ago, mulligan said:

How are the boats balanced?  Shifting weight around can make a huge difference.

I could be way off but I do not think they changed the hulls.  I do think they changed the fuel tank location.

This. These boats are very weight sensitive.   My 16 always rode better with front tank full 

I have a 2002 RF16 with the 2-stroke 90hp Yamaha.  I have two trolling motor batteries under the console seat, carry basic equipment under the bench seat, never use the live well except for icing drinks, carry about 15 lbs of tackle in the forward storage compartment and usually 20 lbs of ice in the aft port fish box.  The boat is well balanced both fore and aft as well as port and starboard.  With that set up, the hole shot was ok, only cavitated when running half trim or more and making left turns, and had minimal porpoising when could usually be eliminated with a bit more speed or tweeking the trim a touch.  I was looking to get a better hole shot and better cornering without cavitating so I talked with several owners or similar year models and everyone said contact the PowerTech prop guru on here and try a 4-blade prop.   After getting the recommended 4-blade, the hole shot was like a rocket, but I lost 7mph on top end speed, had to run the trim most of the way down or the prop would blow out even in a straight line, and it blew out turning in both directions.  Given how negatively the boat reacted to the 4-blade when compared with slightly newer models, I always suspected that something changed with hull design or interior layout due to different performance between my year and the 2004/5/6's.  Skip weighed in and said the hull design was the same and only very minor interior changes.  I think moving the fuel tank a little bit was one of the changes.  I wrote down a detailed performance comparison between the OEM 3-blade and the new 4-blade and the prop guru suggested a different 3-blade.  After swapping out the 4-blade, I got much better performance.....better hole shot, better speed and only cavitates in sharp left turns at high speed.  Since all that, I have added an 8ft Power Pole on an engine bracket on the starboard side.  That has actually helped the left turn cavitation. 

As others have mentioned in previous posts, these boats are very weight sensitive. My recommendation would be to get off to the side when the boat is tied to the dock, with the standard load you normally carry, and see how it sits, and how much is underwater at the very back corners.  I typically have my fishing guests sit on the console seat to better disperse the weight and help with the hole shot.  I also don't use the seat back, keeping wind resistance and drag to a minimum.  With full fuel, myself and one other onboard with the load distributed, I am hitting 43mph as per the GPS. 

• 1 year later...

Gator J - I own a 2009 RF 16 with same year Yamaha F90, I am interested in learning what 3 blade prop you ended up with 

Diameter and pitch and is there any cup in the blades.

i went to a four blade for hole shot

I am now  using an aluminum four blade Solas 13d and 15p and could not get full rpms - I had cup put in the prop to stop cavitation and the pitch change to 13 and get at wot 33mph 6100rpms

Please let us know - thanks.

Archived