17 MA Rewire

Poon Addict

I am thinking about having my 2000 17 MA rewired.  Was wondering what a ball park cost I would be looking at and if anyone has any recommendations on a shop to do it.  I live in Hernando Beach so I would like to find a shop somewhere in the north Tampa to Crystal river area to do the work. Thanks for any input.

I used Lou at Advantage boat works in tampa. They re-wired my boat and fixed a couple pumps (bilge and live well) for around $1300. Good thing was i talked with them about what i needed and made an appointment, dropped it off Monday at 10 am and picked it up Thursday at 4 the same week. They did an excellent job!

I somewhat improved my wiring on my own when I first got the boat. I called a reputable shop and sent pics and was given a quote of around $3k. You could do it much cheaper and to be honest woukd be better because you would understand everything going on in your boat.

4 hours ago, FLDXT said:

I somewhat improved my wiring on my own when I first got the boat. I called a reputable shop and sent pics and was given a quote of around $3k. You could do it much cheaper and to be honest woukd be better because you would understand everything going on in your boat.

I agree, but, you can also burn up your vessel if you are truly inexperienced in wiring.

I re-wired both my Pathfinder 22V and my Skinny Mini 17T...but, I spent a lot of time researching, reading, and had help from both forum members and my next door neighbor who was a former Navy electrical mechanic.....

Again, it's not rocket science, and I agree you will know your boat better vs having someone do it....

I see you are in N Florida, but, ..Bob, @ inshore marine in Pompano is a master at wiring....give him a call as well for a quote..worth the 4 hr  ride.

DC

I didn't mean to just go out in wing it on the wiring, if you don't feel comfortable dont do it. For me im.waiting to do a total refit, console removal everything, gonna knock it out when it's all ripped apart. At 6'4" it ain't real fun getting into that console.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 5:07 PM, bigsnook35 said:

Central Gulf Coast Marine. The owner is Mac Carter. He has done quite a few boats on this forum. (813)244-9573. 

Mac and Woody at Central will do the cleanest re-wire you've ever seen.  They will even come to you for free to inspect the job and sometimes do the job at your house.  Great work and great customer service.  They're out of Odessa.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys.  I have decided to do it myself.  I've been working on it a few evenings now and its has been going pretty well until I tried to pull the new wires for the cockpit courtesy lights that are up under the gunnels.  They wouldn't move! I tried pulling from both ends on both sets of wires and still nothing. It's almost as if they are wedged between the interior cockpit wall and the side of the boat or are stuck in the fiberglass. I also noticed the hole that they come out isn't large enough to pull the new wire through when its taped to the old wires.   Has anyone run new wires for these lights and have any tips?  Thanks for any help.

42 minutes ago, Convertible13 said:

Hi Poon,

I live in Hernando Beach too and have a 2002 Maverick MA 21. Mine needs a rewire too. Have you found a place yet and taken her in?

Any chance I can come by and see what you're doing? I don't know much about wiring but might learn something.

I just sent you a pm with my number to get a hold of me to come take a look. 

FYI:Sometime back Maverick conducted a survey to see if owners preferred fuses or breakers. The overwhelming response was fuses. Haven done some wiring  I vote for fuses. You can always see if the fuse failed, the breaker....no. Just a thought.

dh

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  KeeKee - I would say I have $400-$450 into it but that includes new nav lights (I moved them to the console instead of in the bow because I was constantly replacing the ones in the bow), added a 60 amp breaker into trolling motor system, new underwater light (cheap one) and new switches, usb plug, and 12V plug.  Had I had planned a head a little better I think I could have saved a good $100+ by ordering all my stuff (wire, connectors, switches) online. I bought all that stuff from West marine or auto parts store and they rape you for it.

As far as hours go Id say 20 hrs but I took my time to understand and learn how everything went because the was the first rewire I had ever done. 

Archived