21 Master Angler help?

mminassian

I am looking to trade up from my 1748 Alumacraft to possibly a 21 master angler that I found up in the pan handle and was hoping you guys could provide me some information.

its and 02 with a 200 vmax with like 225 hours on it. Are there any specific issues with that certain year hull I should be aware of or anything particular I should be looking at.  I'm in the process of getting some more pictures from the owner to get a better idea since the boat is about 4 hours away from me.

also anyone in the panhandle area that could possibly swing by and take a look at it if I do end up proceeding with it to give it a once over in person before I make the 8 hour round trip?

thanks for any help in advance!

FLDXT looks like you are about an hour and 45 minutes from the boat kind of a hike.

spoke with the guy today and he's sending me a bunch of pictures tonight so I'm gonna go from there. He says the boat is super clean and he bought a new 2200 pathfinder only reason he's selling. It's a killer deal which also makes me nervous.

ill post pictures once I get them.

6 hours ago, fsusteve said:

There was an issue in the 02-03's and earlier hulls with the sea chest location, not sure about all the facts but some or at least a few hulls suffered stringer damage, sorry I don't have more knowledge about it.

I will be sure to look at this specifically exactly what I was looking to hear or not hear I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

To the points above - a few additional comments

1) The 21 MA is a VERY popular boat around here - if you have found a good deal, you may have a gem - good luck and keep us posted!   I love my two 18's and have thought long and hard about going to a 21.

2) There are definitely some rumors of issues with those stringers around that year - nobody has ever been able to say definitively whether it was design or the use that caused the issues or even how widespread they were, but regardless, this is one boat that I would absolutely recommend you hire a marine surveyor to take a close look at.  Chances are it's fine, and if its fine now, chances are its going to be fine forever.  But get an expert to look at it.   It definitely wouldn't stop me from pursuing this, but I'd know what I was getting!

3) There are a lot of good folks on here that can help you out - you may want to post a request in the General section so more eyes get on it - there are bound to be more folks on here in that area.  I had a few that really helped me buy my last MA - I bought it sight unseen and it was an awesome purchase!

Good luck and keep us posted!

We had issues with our 1999 Master Angler which was Captain Troy's original boat. That boat had many 1,000 of hours of use and we had stringer issues which we addressed as soon as they appeared. Many of these occurred due to what looks like an early design problem. I've enclosed a picture of our boat during repair of the area around the sea chest and you can see how close the sea chest and trim tab pockets are. I think this creates a weak spot on the hull which makes it more likely to fail as in the second photo which was prior to the repair. We loved our boat but it was probably one of the highest hours maverick boats out there and over our 5 years of ownership it cost us a substantial sum in repairs. I'd have more confidence in a low hours boat and certainly check out this area and the stringers carefully before committing to a deal. I understand this design was changed in later boats but am not sure how. Many of these 21 Mavericks have been worked hard in conditions that smaller flats boats avoid. That was the whole point of the boat so its not surprising quite a few have had issues.

They are an amazing boat and I'd have another in a heart beat but I would want a low hours model.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2d.JPG

You guys are a wealth of knowledge thank you very very much!!  I specifically asked him to take pictures of that area in the morning so I should know rather quickly whether or not I have at least surface cracks or not.

Whichwaysup I will do just that, post it in general as well!  Thanks for the heads up.

You'll need to get under the boat to see the sea chest area. If the design is different to the pictures I posted yesterday you'll soon see. You need to get your friend to unscrew the cover under the seat and get his phone in there to take a few photos. Likewise for the splashwell cover. If you get to run the boat one of the first indications of an issue with the stringers on our boat was a slight vibration of the front deck whilst underway. It was only very slight but you could certainly see it. This is due to the hull flexing and in our case ended up with a crack forming on the port side under the rub rail. The ends of our stringers had delaminated (see photo) and anything like that should be easy to spot by getting an arm into accessible place under the cap and take a few pics. All these things are repairable at a price!

Picture%20058.jpg

Picture%20064.jpg

The compartments look fine - virtually all the compartment lids I've seen with the exception of the carbon ones look they've been inhabited by a chain smoking gnome and on most boats you'd expect the top deck and compartments to look ok or at least clean up easily. The areas you need to examine are the ones you can't see under the cap. When we first looked for a boat we were more concerned about the engine and we were delighted ours came with a virtually new engine. Experience has since taught us that you can easily change an engine but repairing a hull is more difficult. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and hope the deal works out for you. 

So my buddy is there now and the boat looks super clean.  I just got off FaceTime with him he's gonna get me more pictures but wanted to get these up right away.

while we were in FaceTime I did not see any issues with the stringers or cracking at the sea chest etc but hopefully more talented eyes can confirm.

also there are two small cracks in the center rear 50 gallon livewell im thinking gel coat cracks?

also same style of cracks but bigger in the front 20 gallon round livewell. I had my buddy put pressure on the floor of both live wells and he said the didn't bow or flex or feel soft so that's why I'm thinking just gelcoat cracks that need to be sealed?

IMG_7644.PNG

IMG_7645.PNG

IMG_7648.PNG

IMG_7649.PNG

IMG_7650.PNG

IMG_7651.PNG

IMG_7652.PNG

IMG_7653.PNG

IMG_7654.PNG

IMG_7655.PNG

5 minutes ago, Ecclerigg said:

Does look really clean. We had a few gel coat cracks in the bottom of our rear livewell but it never caused us an issue. Good luck with purchase.

Coming from you that means a lot!! I really appreciate all your help! Now to drag a mechanic up with me and do a sea trial and as long as no major issues it'll be coming home with me this coming week!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back on, taking a day off from your own business to pick up a boat, sure leaves the crap piled high when you return!

The boat couldn't of been anymore perfect.  It's in incredible shape, the deck is in perfect shape, all the anti skid looks practically new.  All the hatches are perfect, I do need to add a few limiting straps to a few of them otherwise no issues there.  The outside of the hull is perfect except for one ding on the starboard front strake which has been filled in.  No oxidization on any of the gel coat.

Going up there, I knew there was one issue with the lower unit.  The owner just started to hear a clicking noise in the lower unit the weekend before.  We compression tested everything and had 105 and 108's on every cylinder except for one, one was at 97.  It was a smidge out of the 10% rule but the motor fires right up and has fantastic power.  I wasn't really concerned because my plan was to repair the lower unit and sell the motor and repower with a new Pro XS.

We threw some air in the tires, and some grease on the bearings and she made the 7 hour journey back to Tampa with zero issues.  It goes to the mechanic this week to get the lower unit fixed and then hopefully do a little fishing.

So now what everyone has been waiting for, what did I pay for this beast?  I feel like I got an amazing deal for the boat, 2002 Master Angler 21 with a 2002 Yamaha 200hp VMAX (with broken lower) with a total of 216 hours, 8 foot power pole pro series, minn kota trolling motor, lowrance gps unit, and he threw in an extra rod and reel combo...................$15,000.

I appreciate everyone's help!  When I take it to the mechanic I'll snap a few pictures to post up.  I can't wait to get the deck all slimy!

Archived