Carlson Back Bay

Tillman

holy guacamole - that was a great read - I just flew through all 8 pages.  This is what we need more of!  I read once that Dads have to drag boys kicking and screaming across the finish line of manhood.  I have found it true with my own boys.  Given the chance, they will choose to be lazy and useless, but when challenged, they rise to the occasion and are happy.  

Clearly you can see pride on these boys faces.   You've rebuilt far more than a boat . . . 

On 12/1/2016 at 1:46 PM, mulligan said:

That is awesome!  Great to see kids getting dirty instead of sore eyes from playing video games.  I am so grateful to have a gearhead dad that always had me getting my hands dirty.  "You break you fix it, you want it you make it!"

Make America Great Again.

Politics aside. We need workers with skills. Yep, you may have to get dirty to make a great wage. Great thread and a great effort by the teacher.

If it wasn't for a Vo-tech school I attended all of you would be in kayaks. Just fooling around with you guys. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians has never worked.

I have never found a guy with a trade that he was good at looking for a job or starving.

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Politics aside. We need workers with skills. Yep, you may have to get dirty to make a great wage. Great thread and a great effort by the teacher.

If it wasn't for a Vo-tech school I attended all of you would be in kayaks. Just fooling around with you guys. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians has never worked.

I have never found a guy with a trade that he was good at looking for a job or starving.

Nothing better than a guy / gal with Plumber's crack who is charging you $80 / hour :)

dc

4 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Agree. We need tradesmen. Astronauts need rocket builders. Captains need shipwrights.  

I'm a 3rd gen carpenter/builder. My dad told me when I was a pup that if I learned the trade I'd probably never get rich...or go hungry. (I started at 7 years old. serious)

50 years later I couldn't have lived a more blessed life. There's been some financial rewards, sure. But it's nothing like doing a good job...having others recognize it...and earning a good day's pay. And I wouldn't trade it all for a safe full of gold in a big house on the hill. 

And...

#MAGA 

Cool thread and well said LarryH. People acknowledging the effort I out into something  is so rewarding.  

I too grew up in a construction family. I worked for my dads co during summers and holidays for years and wish now I had really tried to learn more rather than just make some $ for gas and beer.  Some of it rubbed off as I'm decent at a lot of stuff but wish I had mastered one "craft" such as carpentry, drywall finishing or somethig similar. 

Justfish- I can relate. I really wanted to learn the masonry trade (my uncle was a brick layer) but my pop wisely reminded me of the virtue of inside work (I grew up in the cold north). 

Plus dad was quick to inform me that finish carpenters earn 25 cents more an hour then framers and brick layers. A big deal in the 1970's. 

And though I migrated to construction management, 5 decades of ladders and scaffolding and attics and basements has worn this mans body out. I'm hoping there's enough in reserve to fish & hunt for another couple decades. Before I'm relegated to a beach chair and adult beverage...watching the pretty ladies walk by. 

Archived