Tampa Bay gags

pondfisher

12 hours ago, hurricane said:

I use some plugs also. The spot I go to the most, outta Gandy has eatin' to many plugs. Its cheaper to lose a bucktail jig than a deep diver plug.

Maybe the weather will let me give it a try this weekend!

Yup, the loss of $13 plugs happens.... every trip.  This past trip we lost about four!

30 minutes ago, flatwater said:

Man I need to learn how to do this! I have tried it before with no success.

Flatwater, sometimes it can be a grind and can take hours to find success.  Lots of lost plugs to structure.... lots of constantly clearing grass from your line... sometimes just no bite.  It can be work, but worth it when you pull in that pig!  The first time I ever tried by myself I got skunked.  Then the next time one fish.  Then this last trip 4 fish.  One thing to keep in mind.... if you don't feel your plug bumping bottom structure, you're not in the strike zone and will likely never hook up.

14 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I guess there is no Red Tide in that area? I have some inshore Grouper spots, but when the Red Tide comes around even in low concentrations, they most leave the area or they just don't bite.  

We did have some red tide about a month ago in the bay (and the St. Pete sewage dump) so it got pretty nasty for a bit.  But with all that gone and the lack of rain, the water clarity is fantastic right now.

Archived