iPilot or Tiller

Nag Juice

5 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

Interesting point of view. Would you buy a pp again knowing what you know now?

Know you posted for JEM but HECK yeah I would all day long! We have mud, oysters and shell but when we get on the fish I shut the troller off and don't want the motor turning so I use my PPs all the time but run duels so the spot lock is not a feature I would have to have either though. GPS guidance and remote yes but not spot lock.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the spot lock(anchor function) when fishing offshore over reefs/wrecks. It makes a huge difference!!!

Makes things quiet and easy to chum up red snapper/grouper for light tackle fishing.

As someone else said, place a piece of paper between the battery and the cover to make a good connection in the remote controller.

1 hour ago, Nag Juice said:

Interesting point of view. Would you buy a pp again knowing what you know now?

C'mon man!  It's the blessed trinity of a flats boat:  Ipilot, side scan sonar, and power pole, in that order.  I mean, that's ASSUMING you already have poling platform.   You DO have a poling platform, don't you??  

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer the tiller. 90% of my fishing is in 2 feet of water, near oyster beds, rocks, and other structure. I frequently have to make quick corrections when I run up on a barely submerged rock or ghost trap, etc... Keep in mind water clarity is not always the best by me.  I often don't see something until I am almost about to hit it. Not sure I could make a correction as quickly as necessary using a remote. Also question the value of spot lock if you are skinny. Seems like the hard corrections made would spook fish and stir up the muddy bottoms. 

On the other hand, I use my power pole every trip out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new TM for my 92 18 MA. Enjoyed all the different perspective on the issue of ipilot or tiller. There were several issues that I had not considered, extra noise and mud in shallows when motor tries to maintain position, rapid corrections (my platform pretty tall!), slow to reduce speed, remote failures, constant battery replacements. But the overwhelming positive response makes me much more comfortable with the Ipilots. I'm leaning toward a riptide terrova 80# or the Ulterra. Just haven't decided if the Ulterra is worth the extra $ 

I just got the new Terrova 80 with Bluetooth and ipilot and it is awesome.  Not only does the spot lock work great particularly with the jog feature, but the new lift assist vastly improves stowing and deploying vs. my old one.  I couldn't justify spending another $500 on an Ulterra but they are way cool.

22 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new TM for my 92 18 MA. Enjoyed all the different perspective on the issue of ipilot or tiller. There were several issues that I had not considered, extra noise and mud in shallows when motor tries to maintain position, rapid corrections (my platform pretty tall!), slow to reduce speed, remote failures, constant battery replacements. But the overwhelming positive response makes me much more comfortable with the Ipilots. I'm leaning toward a riptide terrova 80# or the Ulterra. Just haven't decided if the Ulterra is worth the extra $ 

Just returned from a long trip in the ENP where I used the heck out of my Ulterra. The ability to stow/deploy from the helm or back of the boat is awesome. Several situations where I would have broken my neck trying to get to rhe bow to manually stow/deploy. 

There is a learning curve. I'm. O huge fan of the remote but it has advantages. The auto pilot is killer. Set it in a sirection and go. No adjustment needed. Then hit anchor and it just keeps you there. 

I also used a power pole AND a Wang anchoe in conjunction with the ipilot.  When current is pushing you one way with wind bblowi g you another and you need to slowly get to your favorite plug that's stuck 5' up in a mangrove yet need to avoid an oyster bar and dead tree, the availability of the polw and remote TM operation is sweet. 

As for batteries and maybe losing function of the remote, I wason the water for 4 days. Used the heck kut of my Ulterra never a power issue (thanks to Stealth 1 DC charger) and hardly uses any remote battery. My backup in case the remote failed or was lost at sea was a wired foot control. Never used it but it was available with quick access in case it hit the fan. I will probably be using it a lot when bass fishing the lakes up here. Just easier to have both hands free. 

One thing that would be nice is to havea manual overide to manually adjust.  There were a few times I wished I could have reached down and moved bu hand.  The foot control would have probably served that purpose. 

All things considered, after having it, hard to think I would go back away from the Ulterra. Just too many functions that make operations simple. The anchor function alone is the gamechanger. You could live without a PP but still havi g both is a good idea. I would at least go with anUlterra and a stick anchor. With the remote operation of the TM it isnt totally necessary to have the remote ability for the PP as you can operate the TM from anywhere while anchoring a stick anywhere on the boat andnot just off the transom. 

23 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

I'm with Rubble...for the extra $500 or so, don't look back...it's a true game changer.....

For my fishing, I"m constantly having to lift and adjust the TM head as we move from 1-2-3 feet of water in the oyster bars and mud flats in Chokoloskee.

I actually have two PP's and our fishing style allows us to stop 100 yards from a "bank"....stay seated, hit the Ulterra, point then hit the "N" button and its on it's way, and then begin to prepare the rigs, grab a cold one, light a cigar, whatever....and when your done...you just hit the button, up it comes as you walk to the back of the boat, sit, and figure your next move....

Way to easy......

dc

Archived