iPilot or Tiller

Nag Juice

Looking to discuss the advantages of and ipilot or tiller. I have a tiller and it seems fool proof for the most part and anyone can take the stick and drive it. I sold an older tiller last night and tried to talk my self into selling my newer one to get an ipilot. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Are there issues with the remote not connecting with the CPU in the Trolling Motor? Do your Batteries last longer with a tiller? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would steer ya towards an Xi5, but ipilot will work.

I'm all for for remote TM. I love the heading lock function, it makes life so much easier. The hand control constantly needs steering to keep boat going straight. With heading lock I can point it in a direction and not have to correct it at all. The anchor feature is also great, but heading lock is the bomb.

Also if your alone it opens the whole boat to fish from. I like to stand on the platform and run the TM. Worth the extra money.

I won't fish without a gps guided tm ever again.  Of all of the equipment I own, my ipilot is the most important.  I can do without a power pole, gps, depthfinder, but I simply have to have my ipilot or Xi5.  It's a game changer.  Mine is going on 5 years old with not even one problem

To me the big issue is if you fish alone or not. If you do a tiller is easy to kick with you hip to help get a fish out of the mangroves. You can't do that with an I pilot and fight the fish at the same time. At least I can't. In my world the admiral gets the foredeck and I run the TM from the rear deck. I pilot all the way then................ They have a lot of advantages just make sure you take extra remote batteries.

Goof luck with your choice.

IT really depends on where and how you fish.... tiller is better if you are maneuvering a lot especially in tight areas with current.  If you fish say docks or shorelines with shallow water and have a power pole then you can anchor with the PP and that negates the need for and ipilot.  If you want to be able to anchor and fish in water to deep for PP then ipilot is way to go.

I'm with others... its so important to me that I have 2 Xi5's one for back up in case one goes down.  I still miss the old tiller I used to have in certain situations... the day some one makes one that can operate both tiller and electric it would be the cats meow

I am looking at getting a new TM as well.  As much as those fancy GPS have the cool factor I will more than likely stick will a tiller. The reason for me are that they are simple, don't hang over the bow, half the price, plus for me they are hands free as I just steer with my knees.  I am sure a GPS would be nice for some but the way I use the motor the tiller just seems to work.  

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

I am looking at getting a new TM as well.  As much as those fancy GPS have the cool factor I will more than likely stick will a tiller. The reason for me are that they are simple, don't hang over the bow, half the price, plus for me they are hands free as I just steer with my knees.  I am sure a GPS would be nice for some but the way I use the motor the tiller just seems to work.  

That's where I am too. Mine is a year old and works fine. I might consider it at a later date, but I think I'll stick with the tiller for now.

I battled with same decision. Felt like how I fish most, the tiller was more work than needed. Ran my buddy's bass boat TM for a week in Bama and decided that i really like fishing with the pedal so that i can keep my hands on therod and reel. Then I startedthinking about auto tracks and spot locks and it was a nobrainer. The iPilot can be hardwired to a pedal as well as using the remote and/or Phone  

One issue i had with tiller was the speed control. It wasnt very... variable. Only 2 or 3 positions worked and that was if you hit the sweetspot. Wasnt quite as bulletproof as I had hoped. 

Nag - 

A lot of good thoughts above.  I have never heard of anyone who went to Ipilot and said that they would go back to manual - but If any of those above who would opt for a manual have come from an IPilot, I'd be interested.

As you know, I have an Ipilot on my old MA, and a Manual on my newer MA.  Since I haven't swapped the Ipilot to the new one yet, I've had to contend with the manual for the last two trips.   For me, no question about it, the Ipilot is worth its weight in gold.  Here's what I found:

- In terms of general steering, it's really only slightly more convenient.   It is REALLY nice not to have to bend down every 30 seconds to move the motor, and I find I keep my hand on my fishing rod and miss a lot less fish with the remote.

- Where the Ipilot absolutely SHINES is when you are fishing in a current or wind and you break off or have to change out lures, put a fish in the box, eat lunch, or do ANYTHING other than control the trolling motor.  Being able to just hit "spot lock" and stay in the same place makes tying knots so much better.  With the manual, you all know what happens - you either find yourself doing "death spirals", wandering off away from your spot (at which point another boat slips in), or you end up having to stop mid-knot-tying 35 times to adjust the trolling motor.    Add kids into the mix, and your frustration factor with the Ipilot is about nill.

- The other MAJOR benefit is the ability to work strong currents and keep your hands on the rod.   Hitting Autopilot to maintain a heading is absolutely priceless.  This also comes in handy when your partner hangs up on a dock or a snag - you point the boat towards his lure and keep on fishing.

With the new Ipilots, I would spend whatever money was required to have it.  It's an absolute game changer.   Come on my boat before you make the decision and decide first hand.

I bought a new xi5 for my 2200 right before I sold it an now my 2400 has a hand control. I can say that I am going to buy another xi5. The spot lock was my favorite thing, I fish with just me and the kids a lot and this feature is awesome. Universal mania seems to have the best prices if you decide to buy one. 

29 minutes ago, CG RYAN said:

I bought a new xi5 for my 2200 right before I sold it an now my 2400 has a hand control. I can say that I am going to buy another xi5. The spot lock was my favorite thing, I fish with just me and the kids a lot and this feature is awesome. Universal mania seems to have the best prices if you decide to buy one. 

Have you ordered anything from that site?

Looks like I'm in the minority on this question.  I put the IPilot on my new Hewes, but ended up making an adjustment.  The fob is fine for some uses, but I find myself "driving" while working a shoreline and watching guests fish.  You have to keep at it if there's current and or wind, and you better also keep a supply of batteries for the fob on board.  With the tiller I could stand on the bow and drive with my knee and keep fishing.  The anchor function is good, but if it's tight, not as good as a Power Pole.  I solved my problem bass fisherman style and bought a foot-control.  It works great and with the length of cord it comes with I can run the TM from the poling platform and keep fishing.

If I was doing it again, I would have just bought another Rip Tide tiller model.

A year ago, I had a Motor Guide tiller on my 18 Kenner.  I bought  2007 2200V last November and put an IPilot on it.  Wow, what a difference and improvement!  A buddy fished with me last November, and the Spot Lock amazed him so, he had to buy mine from me.  I put an Ulterra on, and WOW again, no more bending over and even auto trim!  I thought it couldn't get any better.  Well, after January, I am going to sell this Ulterra and put the puck Ulterra on for the tighter spot lock.  I never use my brand new 10 foot Power Pole Blade.  That was a waste of money where I fish.  Oh well.....

I replaced a 80 LB tiller with  a 112LB 36v I Pilot to my 2200 this year...man what a difference, I can go to a fave spot, put on anchor lock....fish a few casts and unlock, move down the bank and throw lures until hook up, apply anchor lock again. It is so simple it's amazing. I will say if you are fishing pilings or rock jetties, the tiller is a little more maneuverable with a fish on, but once you get the hang of it....it's good with remote as well.  

Have I pilot,  in creeks and canals the steering responds plenty quickly.  As others said, the "anchor" feature is great!   And when you get stuck in a tree, use motor to get in tight, drift in, turn it backwards and powers out quick!   

my only real complaint: it's loud when it turns.  I think loud enough to scare fish.  I use when alone, often with a buddy, but when with a buddy I will go to using pole when fish are nearby.    I like being able to stand on platform (visibility) and run with remote.  

Btw: open the remote, remove battery, stick a little piece of paper UNDER the metal tab.  That will keep battery in contact.  Design flaw fix.  

Archived