Carbon Cannister setup

geeviam

My first topic as the proud owner of a 2017 Redfisher 16, in Upstate South Carolina.  Love the boat!  Cushions and rear backrest were in the truck when the picture below was taken.  TM and electronics coming soon.  I have enjoyed reading many helpful posts on this forum over the past couple months.  This is obviously a friendly place for long-time boating/fishing fanatics like me to hang out.  The EPA Carbon Cannister setup is new to me.  I must have overfilled the tank, even though I stopped filling at the first click of the nozzle.  Fuel has been dripping from the overboard vent (in my garage with a natural gas flame water heater!).  There are also gasoline fumes in the forward compartment, even though there are no signs of leaking fuel anywhere including the bilge.  Have I ruined the carbon cannister to where it should be replaced?  They are not cheap.  With the help of another member post on this board, I have used a block of wood on top of the tank to raise the cannister inlet hose as high as possible under the forward deck, to stop the fuel drip from the vent.  Are the new Redfisher fuel tanks equipped with a Fuel Limit Vent Valve (FLVV) and Inlet Control Valve (ICV), to protect against over-pressurization/over-fills and fuel reaching and saturating the carbon cannister?  Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Gary

I agree.  Thank you for the advice.  I will make the call.

Re: M.A.'s comment...

New boats are now required to be EPA Emissions Compliant by having a carbon canister installed on the vent hose between the tank and the overboard thru-hull vent.  Here's a link to the specs and rules: http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/components/canister/.  Is there a device of any kind on the vent hose line between the tank and overboard vent on your 2014 Redfisher?  Just curious whether or not you have some sort of check-valve or p-trap installed, even if there is no carbon canister.  Or, is it just a hose from tank to vent?

Thanks,

Gary

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, geeviam said:
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, geeviam said:

Re: M.A.'s comment...

New boats are now required to be EPA Emissions Compliant by having a carbon canister installed on the vent hose between the tank and the overboard thru-hull vent.  Here's a link to the specs and rules: http://www.perkofuelsystems.com/components/canister/.  Is there a device of any kind on the vent hose line between the tank and overboard vent on your 2014 Redfisher?  Just curious whether or not you have some sort of check-valve or p-trap installed, even if there is no carbon canister.  Or, is it just a hose from tank to vent?

Well, I learned something new today. I looked and found my canister. It is mounter below deck, upside down over the gas tank. It looks like it vents to the underside of the gas filler inlet. The gas tank is vented thru a separate vent on the side of the boat. I also found that the ground wire from the gas tank to the gas filler inlet is not connected, which I will take care of tomorrow.

IMG_5715%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

Thanks for the reply M.A.  Now we know MBG was installing them in the 2014 models.  MBG referred me back to my Hewes dealer for service on this issue.  They are working with me to resolve it.  I siphoned off some fuel from the tank to make an air space in the tank and vent hose, and let it sit for 8 days, hoping that the charcoal in the canister would dry out.  The gasoline fumes in the forward compartment did not go away.  I made a PVC hose support (picture attached) to hold the vent hose as high as possible up against the ceiling of the compartment, to keep fuel from reaching the canister during fill-up or boat movement (rough seas, towing).  Before installing the hose support, I disconnected the canister so that I could re-position the vent hose above the rod tubes and remove any sag in the line.  Fuel started pouring out of the canister - the charcoal was still soaked with gas after 8 days.  Long story short, I have removed the canister until it can be dried out and pressure tested by the dealer service department, for a vapor leak.  They will replace it under warranty if necessary.  Since removing the canister, the strong gas smell in the compartment has dissipated.

Fuel_Hose_raised1.jpg

Fuel_Hose_raised2.jpg

Or you could just leave it out. Boats worked fine for almost a hundred years without them. I'd much rather have the gas overflow all at once at the gas pump when full rather than drip out in my garage for days. This is not a safety thing. It's purely an EPA thing to keep raw gas from spilling on the ground or in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ksayles44 said:

Congrats on the new skiff. It looks great. I am in Greenville SC and don't see a lot of other Hewes around. 

Thanks Ksayles44.  I've only ever seen one other Hewes on the lakes up here.  Two Summers ago on Lake Keowee.  It was a late model Redfisher 18 (all white).  Was that your boat I saw?

4 hours ago, lurem said:

Geeviam,

So, where is your Fuel tank located? It looks like it is in the front storage compartment like the old lappy's of time gone by. They were up front forever, then under the floor from 2001-2011'ish, now back up front again. I wonder why?

dc

My fuel tank is located inside the forward compartment, just aft of the hatch.  It looks like it could be disconnected and pulled out through the compartment access without much trouble, if repair/replacement was necessary.

Archived