Maverick MA Construction

Bw boone

Hello everyone, I have been doing a lot of reading lately about the Maverick 21' master angler but could not find out how the construction changed from the earlier models year 2000-2011. I am looking at buying a 2002 model and read the weight was 1300 lbs. and the year 2007- was 2350. I also read where some wer fiberglass and some are fiberglass/carbon mix. I also read about some hull problems on some of the older models but didn't know if this was from user abuse. Also looking at a 22' pathfinder te. Seems like the pf would be a good fit also. 

Thanks for your help

There are guys more knowledgeable of the 21MA than I that can prob help better but best of my knowledge they didn't build a Kevlar 21 but did do the hatches in CK in some of them. There were def years you need to be careful of.  @Capt. Troyon here seems to be resident 21 expert, maybe he will chime in.

As far as 21ma vs 22 pathfinder, that's a subject that gets debated a lot.  Plenty of reading on that subject, but basically except for the aforementioned problem boats, it's hard to go wrong with whichever serves your needs best.  

The real experts on this boat are off today.:)

They did build 1 carbon Kevlar one I believe. The weights your seeing are 1300/1250 as a dry hull weight. The 2350 weight is rigged including engine.

The only real change was around 2010 when they changed the cap which raised the cap approximately 1 inch and I believe there was a change made to the stringers height and the transom knees of the stringers. The live well was changed in 2010 and they incorporated the new design well and drain system. I don't think there was ever really any type of inherent hull issues. There may have been a issue with the stringers on the starboard side around the sea chest as I know of 3 failures at that location. 2 of those boats had towers on them and were run very hard.

I believe it was 98 or 99 when the 21 MA was introduced. My first was a 99 and I had over 3000 engine running hours and 4 engines on that boat. My 2010 now has a little over 1300 engine hours.

The 21 is a 60 MPH boat when rigged for fishing. Rides great and is very stable at rest. It can be polled short distances and shorter ones once you get your AARP card.

Thank you for the reply Justfish, l have been saving my money for quite a few years and don't want to end up with problems down the road.i like the Maverick but I think my wife would like the pathfinder better.

most of my fishing now has been in the pases with lots of boat traffic and some backwaters but it would me nice to hit some of the near shore wrecks.on good days.

i have also been doing some reading about Yamaha 250 hpdi problems and it seems like the older 150-200hp models were a great motor. 

Can't give much on construction, but. The MA is faster and fishes much better. Also I think MA can offer a more comfortable seating option. I owned a 22 Pathfinder and my wife never found the leaning post comfortable. My current boat 18MA has the Tempress high back seats, and she loves the seats.

There are rumors of some stringer issues on the 21 - as Capt. Troy alluded to.  I don't know, to his point, if they are frequent or the same few that got shared.  The boat you are looking at will either already show signs, or it won't likely have an issue (unless you beat the heck out of it).   It wouldn't stop me from buying one, or even slow me down, but it WOULD cause me to pay for a marine surveyor to take a detailed look at the hull before I stroked the check.  (That from a guy who just bought a 16 year old Master angler sight unseen!)

6 hours ago, Bw boone said:

Thanks Linesider 159, why would more hours be better. Als will there be that much of a difference in fuel used going with a 200 hpdi over a 250? 

Usually hpdis are hit or miss. If one has 800 hours and hasn't blown I'd trust it more than one with 100 hours. 

Also, there are 2 types of 200 hpdis, the Grey duck bill cowling which is an awesome motor, and the big block 200. I ran 89 octane in my 250 hpdis 

Archived