Just a note of thanks to a few folks

whichwaysup

14 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Well, let the fun begin.   The oil pump is definitely DOA.  The bracket holding the oil tank disintegrated when I loosened the mounting screw.  I'm thinking that it may be better to replace the entire thing, to avoid the aggravation of gunk in the old tank clogging up the oil filters.  I'm wide open to suggestions if someone does this for a living though.  

Think I might need to order this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-OUTBOARD-6YR-W0035-95-00-2-8-GAL-OIL-TANK-RIGGING-KIT-6YR-W0035-94-00-/332021199971 unless someone has a cheaper or better solution.   Really didn't want to spend $300 right off the bat.   

On a positive note, everything else on the boat and engine appear to be in phenomenal shape, so if this is the worse thing I find, I guess I'm doing okay.

20161120_144650.jpg

20161120_144143.jpg

20161120_144137.jpg

20161120_135649.jpg

Get a brand new pump and filter and clean/re-use the tank. Google stainless steel Yamaha oil tank bracket. There are a few people making them. You won't have that rust issue anymore. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Get a brand new pump and filter and clean/re-use the tank. Google stainless steel Yamaha oil tank bracket. There are a few people making them. You won't have that rust issue anymore. 

This^^^^^^^.

Dump and clean tank. A little gas swirled around will do it. I have mounted the tank with just 2 eye hooks and a rubber bungy and strapped it down. No fuss and no rust. A couple of pieces of starboard under neath it to get the tank elevated off the floor of the hatch helps prevent the pump from sitting in water.. Make sure after you replace the pump to run it off the manual switch on the engine to insure it primes and is operational. Also get a replacement inline filter that is on the tank.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:50 PM, Nag Juice said:

That's the guy. As good as a fisherman as it gets

Huff is a living legend....in his own mind!  Love that guy like a brother.  I may have taught him everything he knows about fishing & surfing but definitely not everything I know. Tell him that Paul @ Merritt's said that and you should get quite a chuckle from his response. :DxD

9 hours ago, conocean said:

Huff is a living legend....in his own mind!  Love that guy like a brother.  I may have taught him everything he knows about fishing & surfing but definitely not everything I know. Tell him that Paul @ Merritt's said that and you should get quite a chuckle from his response. :DxD

Mission accomplished. :)

Well, got the new tank, pump, bracket, filter installed.  Kind of a funny story.  

I got the entire compartment cleaned out and degreased, which meant removing the battery, disconnecting live well hoses, and disconnecting fuel lines.  A dirty, nasty job, but very gratifying to get that hatch looking nice.  When I walked back in the house, fed ex was dropping off the new tank.  It felt a bit like Christmas.   I took it out to the boat, and the installation was about as easy as you can imagine.

Before I put the oil in, I figured I'd better check to make sure the pump was going to work.   I hit the emergency switch on the back of the engine . . . nuthin.   ARGGGH - what could I have missed???    I went back over everything . . . Oh, jeez - the ignition has to be turned on.   Got the keys, turned her on, flipped the switch.   NUTHIN'.  Now I can feel the blood draining away from my face.  I just blew $300 on this set up, and now it isn't the problem???   Again, go back through everything.  OH JEEZ!  I forgot that I'd switched the batteries to the "off" position.   Flipped batteries to on, flip the switch . . . . 

Nuthin'.

Now, I'm really about to lose it.  I'm out of my mind.  I'm in over my head.  I'm questioning the entire purchase.   My 87 never has had a problem  . . . . 

Slow down, go back through everything.  What am I missing?   I look at the tank, look at the wiring, follow the wiring back to the . . . . 

No battery.  Yeah, step one to remove the old tank:  Remove the battery.  Sorta forgot to put it back in.

Turn boat off, turn battery switch off, install battery, spray terminals with corrosion protection, turn on boat, turn on battery switch . . . moment of truth, flip the emergency switch . . . . 

EUREKA!  We have lift off!!!

Filled the remote oil tank, hit switch, watching the reserve tank . . . not filling. . . . .I can't win.

Long story short, I had to use the primer bulb to get the oil into the pump, then . . . we're off and running.  BTW, glad I decided to replace the entire thing - there was an inch thick layer of sludge in the bottom of the tank.  I would imagine it was in all the lines and the filter as well.

Mission accomplished!

20161123_112809.jpg

20161123_131627.jpg

Looks good in there.  Glad it works!

Thanks for telling us about your opps it made me feel better about my brain fart I had yesterday.  My nephew had the week off from school and has been wanting to go fishing.  So I got the boat all cleaned up the night before and was going to sneak out of work early to take him and my dad out.  We get to the ramp and my dad hops in the boat to drive it off the trailer.  I back down, he goes to start it and no motor running.  I am thinking "Old pops can not even start a boat anymore!".  I hop on give it a shot and still no go.WTF!  Take the cover off the motor, all fuse good, got fuel, plenty of juice to the motor but it will  not start.  By now my nephew is getting antsy and I am going to grab the tools to do some ramp/parking lot CPR to get us going when my dad says "Is your kill switch in all the way?".  Let us just say the kill switch functions! I must have hit it when I was cleaning the boat the night before.  The kicker was when my nephew asked what was wrong and all I could say was "Your uncle is a dumb a.. and grandpa saved the day."

Archived