Just a note of thanks to a few folks

whichwaysup

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Boat should be arriving this afternoon or evening.  If things go well, we'll do a shakedown tomorrow a.m..

I would strongly advise you to christen the vessel before you dunk it.  You definitely don't want to bring bad luck on your new boat!9_9

Quick report, more later -  boat arrived last night in great condition.  It was dark so inspection was difficult.  this a.m. was out at first light and boat was everything promised and more.  Maiden was a little rough due to a bad oil pump but reserve tank was full and operational so we got to play with her.  she broke 50 mph before I chickened out.  We have a winner, but I will need to adress that oil pump.  No other issues or surprises!

20161119_150140.jpg

20161119_123504.jpg

20161119_112408.jpg

20161119_090747.jpg

Awesome. Looks like everyone likes it as well! 

Maybe I missed exactly what's going on but...  The lil $10 filter is usually the issue in the remote rank not filling the motor, not the pump. Either way, both side by side and are easy fixes you can get to bottom of oil bag so prob good idea to replace both while your under there...

Justfish - just saw the same thing after a little research.  Hopefully it will be something simple!

Hurricane - great question.  It's interesting - I've had a chance now to run one of the oldest MAs (87), this 2011, and NagJuices 2006.     The difference between my 1987 and my 2001 is pretty interesting.   The ride in both are phenomenal, but my 1987 is like an "MA light" - I would bet it weighs 500-1000 pounds less than the 2001 (I have no idea if that's realistic, so take it directionally).  The cap on the 2001 is much thicker, beefier.   I never thought my 87 was too thin, for the record.   The best way to describe it is that my 87 feels like a purpose-built skiff, my 01 feels like a more refined boat.  I always wondered at you guys talking about how hard it is to pole an MA, and while my 87 wasn't exactly a stroll in the park, it was never that bad.   I'm thinking that my 01 will require a lot more muscle.  

I will say that the cap of the 2001 is phenomenally well laid out.   I didn't think I'd like the rod locker on one side, but I absolutely love it.  I also love the way the compartments up front are laid out, and the center console is absolutely massive - and empty.  My three batteries in my 87 are all in the console, leaving virtually no room for "stuff" (plenty of storage everywhere else).   In my 01, the two trolling motor batteries are under the front hatch in a "sub hatch" and the house battery is in the rear starboard hatch with the oil tank.   I've got big plans for that console now!

The one thing I don't particularly like is that half-hatch under the bench seat.   It's fine, but I don't know why they did that.   I have a problem I need some help with - the tempress seat mount on the non-hatch portion is loose, but I have no idea how to get up under it to tighten the bolts down.   Anyone have a clue if it is accessible somehow?   The other problem is that, when that seat is installed, I can't open the bench hatch.  Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.

The seats are the bomb, I would add them if you don't have them. Also my seats are offset, with the capt. seat being about 4" more  forward than the other 2. This gives a little more shoulder room for each person. My hatch opens with the seats, but the right seat has to face forward to open.  Maybe your seats are set to far back. I can measure and see where mine sit. The left seat on my boat, doesn't have nuts its just screwed in.

I love the layout, and the hatches, but they are heavy. I took out the rod holders in the rod locker and that's where I keep all my life jackets and safety gear, I never plan to put rods in there.  The rear hatch only goes so far because the rod locker runs along side. Its a big hatch and I can't even begin to fill it.

The console is massive and having the TM batts in the front hatch makes tons of room in there. I have my starting battery in the front of the console. The height is perfect and my seat is set at the right distance, makes driving super comfy.

I think this is the most tab sensitive boat I've ever owned. I wonder if its cause they are recessed.

I like the seats, for the added height. Maybe a thick seat cushion will make up for that. The only thing about the seats I don't like is the puck left on the deck when the seats are removed.

My two outboard seats are set back 9", to the mounting puck from the front edge of the hatch. The Capt. Seat is set back 4".

Last pic from Friday fishing.....

20161120_093651.jpg

20161120_093736.jpg

20161118_122537.jpg

Well, let the fun begin.   The oil pump is definitely DOA.  The bracket holding the oil tank disintegrated when I loosened the mounting screw.  I'm thinking that it may be better to replace the entire thing, to avoid the aggravation of gunk in the old tank clogging up the oil filters.  I'm wide open to suggestions if someone does this for a living though.  

Think I might need to order this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-OUTBOARD-6YR-W0035-95-00-2-8-GAL-OIL-TANK-RIGGING-KIT-6YR-W0035-94-00-/332021199971 unless someone has a cheaper or better solution.   Really didn't want to spend $300 right off the bat.   

On a positive note, everything else on the boat and engine appear to be in phenomenal shape, so if this is the worse thing I find, I guess I'm doing okay.

20161120_144650.jpg

20161120_144143.jpg

20161120_144137.jpg

20161120_135649.jpg

Archived