Just a note of thanks to a few folks

whichwaysup

Hey all -

If you've been on many forums, you realize pretty quickly that every one has it's own "culture" - some seem to attract good, friendly folks who all want to help each other out, others seem to attract a competitive crowd that spends most of their time one-upping and beating each other down (check out swellinfo's forum, for example -wow).   I found this forum when I was thinking about buying my first Maverick, and it was because of this forum that I made that purchase.  It has turned out to be one of the best purchases I've ever made - not just for me but for my whole family.

Recently, a few folks on this forum helped me out again, and I wanted to pass along a major thanks.   CG Ryan - had you not posted that craigslist link for that Maverick MA, I would never have even known it existed.  NagJuice - your text calling my attention to CG Ryan's post led me to consider it.  I usually pull up the classified section before work in the morning, but hadn't in a few days.  Even after you called my attention to the boat,  I didn't even consider it seriously until you really made me take a closer look at it.  I still can't believe my wife told me to buy it - but that's a whole 'nother story.   

A MAJOR thanks goes out to Greg G, 50 Eggs, and Big Snook, who volunteered to go by and take a look at the boat for me.  Had they not been willing to look it over, share their thoughts and help me decide what I was dealing with, I either would have walked away from the deal or I would have had to make a very short notice trip down to look at it myself - an unlikely proposition with a wife who is 9 months pregnant.  It probably would have killed the deal.   Greg in particular, thanks for the multiple PMs, calls, and exchanges.

God willing, that boat will be here on Friday, barely a week after CG Ryan first posted the link.  Pics will be forthcoming.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to my decision - including the moral support from folks like Hurricane, Capt. Troy, Justfish, Flatwater, Fin-Addict, JEM, Last Resort and anyone else who I missed.  If anyone is looking at a boat from afar that is up by me, I'm happy to return the favor.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy this forum. Great group and quality posts. As noted, most forums are nonstop controversy. It got so bad over at FS they had to shut down the political pages, folks were threatening others, and word is some got serious. I don't post there but have lurked on occasion.

It's nice to come to a forum where there are no "keyboard commando's" beating their chest and dragging their overinflated ego's into every thread.

Congrats on the new boat whichwaysup. I remember you popping on here asking about your first Mav...It was close to me and I offered to check it out for ya but something came up - was it a tropical storm? 

I've been a member here for 13 years now and enjoy it. It's def a good group of guys. I've gotten a lot of help, hopefully offered some help to others and met a couple people I now call good friends in real life.

lets see some more pics! And whatcha gonna do with your current one?

13 hours ago, justfish said:

Congrats on the new boat whichwaysup. I remember you popping on here asking about your first Mav...It was close to me and I offered to check it out for ya but something came up - was it a tropical storm? 

I've been a member here for 13 years now and enjoy it. It's def a good group of guys. I've gotten a lot of help, hopefully offered some help to others and met a couple people I now call good friends in real life.

lets see some more pics! And whatcha gonna do with your current one?

Hey Justfish - I remember well your offer to look at that boat - what came up is that I decided not to buy it, backed out of the deal, and tried to not think about it anymore.  Then I woke up the following Saturday morning, and my wife kicked me out of bed, threw me and my son in the truck, and pointed me towards Jacksonville with the clear instructions not to come back without a boat.   I might have been a little hard to live with after I decided not to buy it.   :)    Turned out to be a great purchase and I love that woman for making me do it.  

I will be selling my current MA once the new one arrives and I'm confident she'll be as good as the one I have now.  That 1987 boat is a spectacular fishing platform - I had never expected to replace it and I think it will be little hard to part with.  I'll miss having that jackplate, for sure.  I'll post it on here when I'm ready to let her go.

Is it wrong to have two of these in your driveway?

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Is it wrong to have two of these in your driveway?

Congrats on the new boat !! Can't wait to see pics....... I have a friend that may be interested in your old one when you decide to sell.

Also, to answer your above question....... Absolutely no problem with two boats in your driveway !!  You just need to make sure one is bigger in order to tell your wife that sometimes the weather is bad and you have to use the BIG boat. 

Let me get this straight.  Your wife made you go buy a boat.  Then after you got the boat another one came up for sale and she told you to get that one also!?! And on top of that you get to use the boat(s) all the time?  You got yourself a winner!  I may have to rethink this marriage thing.   

It gets better.  Wanna know how I met her?   She showed up at my dorm room in college, asking me to teach her and her boyfriend how to fish.  She drove a jeep, listened to country music, and loved to fish.  I had to wait through two boyfriends, but finally convinced her to lower her standards enough to give me a chance.  She still loves to fish.   She's an amazing woman, and yes, what you described is exactly accurate, and yes, I almost fell out of my chair on Friday morning when she told me to buy this boat.  I fell out of it a second time when she told me yesterday to take my time selling my current one so we could make sure the new one was really better than what I have.  We're not rich, so the new boat represents some sacrifices on her part.  

Find a woman that loves to fish and marry her. :)

Archived