Cooler water is coming

Capt. Troy

been very hit or miss on charter days as the wind has been off the chain for nearly 4 weeks. Getting a few days in here and there and some of them have been brutal.

Water has settled to around 70 in the Anclote area and bait is becoming problematic. The snook are scattered and much of everthing else is to. We have been managing the usual snook trout and reds but nothing seems to stay in one spot very long. The crazy thing is there are 12 to 18 inch barracuda all over the place.o.O The snook below was caught in about 18 inches of water and I had been cut off 6 or 7 times in some of my other rocky little snook spots. I had just retied 2 rods at this spot.}:( I eased through after landing this 28 and a half inch snook to move down and a dozen little cudas came flying off the rocks. 'weird"

Ended the day with a couple of slams even though the reds were low slot. Some good trout are starting to get in the winter spots and we kept a couple of 23 inch ones for dinner. The slot snook is still swimming.:)

IMG_0758_zpswp2vkeop.jpg

This crazy October wind killed just about every day I had planned for a trip whether bait or fly.  Fished Anclote yesterday (brrrrrrr. was cloudy and chilly!) and could not find bait anywhere.  HUGE tide.  Luckily loaded up on macks for the smoker using cut bait but, as usual, was windier and bigger seas than predicted - go figure.  But we were anchored up straight into the north wind off the beach. Well, I guess it's time to dig pilings, skiffin16. Let's go beeoch!

Yep,

I felt like I was wet all day yesterday. The tide was a product of the super moon. And it made crazy water for a November tide with a north breeze.

Surprised I didn't see you but I stayed south most of the day with 1 pass to the south end of the key. My well was blacked out but it took me a while to say the least. Can't seem to count on the bait being in the same place 2 days in a row. I am burning more fuel finding bait than I do the rest of the day.

Fish have been stubborn lately but can get on them with bait. Bait everywhere from north to south bay. 

Saw a cobia in a north bay the other day and several little barracuda in Fort Desoto and Sarasota. I stopped enjoying fishing on arti in upper bay so will be taking a little break and doing some other stuff. 

Capt Troy, in the spring time you can often find cobia on the flats with rays around anclote, do they not do that this time of year as well?

Archived