TM connector?

rubble

My Minn kota failed in the first month and the dealer installed a 2 pole terminal in the fore hatch  with wing nuts and lock washers holding each wire.  Solid and simple. I don't remove the motor until I store it over the winter months,so no real issues disconnecting. I like simple...

3 hours ago, jason p said:

I think the best thing to do install the plug inside the bow hatch, then it lasts forever no matter what type of plug you use.   

MBG is now doing this using deck plate hardware with a fitting screwed in that the TM cable goes through. 

Remove the TM and you screw in the deck plate and your bow is clean / flush. 

This is how we are rigging my new Redfisher. 

5 hours ago, LarryH said:

MBG is now doing this using deck plate hardware with a fitting screwed in that the TM cable goes through. 

Remove the TM and you screw in the deck plate and your bow is clean / flush. 

This is how we are rigging my new Redfisher. 

No deck plugs for me. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory whenever possible (which is always) IMO it's just another connection to corrode, hardware to rust, something else to clean around, etc... I cut a small groove on the  bottom edge of the hatch lid and the wire passes under the lid and then to the breaker and plug. Everything is out of the weather. My cheap Marinco plug and breaker is 7 years old and spotless. When the TM isn't installed the deck is totally clean, no holes, deck plates or plugs. Besides you can't put a price on taking a Dremel tool to a $50K flats boat.

hatch_zpscpii33bm.jpg

The Pathfinder T already had a Marinco on the 12V side.....they used a piece of starboard as seen...when I redo the boat in a few years...I'll clean everything up...but, for now....here are a few pics of the Battery tender...it's a great piece of hardware...well made....

27599510146_a75a64d4a2_z.jpgIMG_1030 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

27355743250_43680ff284_z.jpgIMG_1031 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

27599510246_9aabe63db7_z.jpgIMG_1032 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

27633334855_886996b97a_z.jpgIMG_1033 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

Larry,  That does look nice.

I picked up the Battery Tender.  Was planning on removing the MK plug that is in the front lip inside the anchor locker but I'm considering a deck mount like Dino has but in a position like where Larry's is so there is not a bunch of cord on the deck.  

Dino, if you had a spot close buy to get that plug inside a bulkhead or anchor locker would you go that route or stick with the deck mount?

What about you other guys with Battery Tender?  Inside or on deck?

9 hours ago, rubble said:

Larry,  That does look nice.

I picked up the Battery Tender.  Was planning on removing the MK plug that is in the front lip inside the anchor locker but I'm considering a deck mount like Dino has but in a position like where Larry's is so there is not a bunch of cord on the deck.  

Dino, if you had a spot close buy to get that plug inside a bulkhead or anchor locker would you go that route or stick with the deck mount?

What about you other guys with Battery Tender?  Inside or on deck?

the only reason i went where it was at is there was already an existing hole in the deck from the previous owner...it's pretty large and I did not have time to work on the fiberglass, so, I just cut it out to fit the battery tender.

I'm thinking of doing a refurb on the boat next winter (2018) if I have time and would move it closer to the TM as indicated in the post above.  That's a very nice connector.

The Battery Tender requires a bit of careful cutting if you are going out side, but, if you can fit it inside the anchor locker...definately go there..just get a large over tube as I did and it will not move around the deck when running...

DC

1 hour ago, Marshfly said:

What is the actual plug and receiver part of that?

My HPX is done like that with the fuel fill port but with the crappy Marinco plug. I'd like to upgrade to whatever that is.

The TM cable feeds through the deck plate with the fitting attached. The top compression nut has a washer inside that creates a seal around the cable when tightened. 

Inside, the guys who did my rigging made a starboard mount for the receptical. I'm not worried about the plug under there  

image.jpg

7 hours ago, Marshfly said:

OK. So that black plug replaced the chrome gas cap that was there before. It was just drilled out to accept that compression fitting.

Yes. The black fitting is male threaded to go into the deck plate flange and female threaded to recurve the gray compression fitting. 

Screw in the stainless deck plate cap if you want to remove TM. Pretty simple and clean. 

3 hours ago, LarryH said:

Yes. The black fitting is male threaded to go into the deck plate flange and female threaded to recurve the gray compression fitting. 

Screw in the stainless deck plate cap if you want to remove TM. Pretty simple and clean. 

And more importantly, it's pretty *** waterproof with the TM plugged in. The current setup is just begging to have water pool there and cause corrosion. This mod is getting done over the break for sure! Thanks!

Archived