1998 hewes redfisher 19

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm currently re-habbing a 1996 lapstrake 19 Redfisher with a 175 Yamaha Pro-V and the twin livewells. Any owners of this vintage 19 Redfisher who have questions, I'd be happy to attempt to answer them directly--in hopes that you could answer some questions of my own (I'm sure you've discovered by now they are not easy to re-wire and re-plumb without removing the cap...). I don't get much time on the Forum but generally reply to e-mail pretty quickly at jeff@floridasportsman.com. Always happy to share ideas.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 97 redfisher 19ft with a 2002 150 vmax and would also like to have a manual if available. Just bought her and very happy aside from the minor repairs that need to be done and difficulty in working on the bilge area. Any tips or tricks with this boat would be appreciated. My first flats.

• 10 months later...
well, looks like Im out of luck in getting a wiring diagram for a 98 Hewes 19' Redfisher! Wish I had known it would be impossible before I bought it. :(

Here's hoping I never need to do any serious electrical troubleshooting.

i don't think the wiring is all that complicated in one... we've have had to dive into my wiring to clean up a lot of useless clutter, and nothing has been too difficult to figure out.

i think one problem is, that boats are often wired up different from one to the next, depending on what options, customizations, etc.

also, add the different outboard combinations, and options they offer, and well, that just throws in another bag of tricks.

then dealer installed options... GPS, trolling motors, Power poles, etc.

as for the wiring for the gauges and engine stuff, a good Yamaha service manual takes care of that end for me, the Lencos have their own diagram, the jackplate has it's own, the troller circuit, GPS, etc....

all that's reall left is the basic wiring of the boat, and even that might be different, and the way the batteries are wired might be different, depending on how many you have.... even if i had a diagram, i wouldn't trust if for anything. :D

just dive in there!

well, looks like Im out of luck in getting a wiring diagram for a 98 Hewes 19' Redfisher! Wish I had known it would be impossible before I bought it. :(

i don't think the wiring is all that complicated in one... we've have had to dive into my wiring to clean up a lot of useless clutter, and nothing has been too difficult to figure out.

i think one problem is, that boats are often wired up different from one to the next, depending on what options, customizations, etc.

also, add the different outboard combinations, and options they offer, and well, that just throws in another bag of tricks.

then dealer installed options... GPS, trolling motors, Power poles, etc.

as for the wiring for the gauges and engine stuff, a good Yamaha service manual takes care of that end for me, the Lencos have their own diagram, the jackplate has it's own, the troller circuit, GPS, etc....

all that's reall left is the basic wiring of the boat, and even that might be different, and the way the batteries are wired might be different, depending on how many you have.... even if i had a diagram, i wouldn't trust if for anything. :D

just dive in there!

I'm restoring a 1998 Hewes 18' LT. I had to remove the cap as alot of my stringers were no longer attatched to the hull, etc. In doing so I was able to remove the entire wiring harness in one piece. Not having any prior boat wiring experience I had to do alot of research to find out just what all those wires served, what colors went where, why the different wire sizes, etc.

I found that the Hewes Wiring Diagrams and the Hewes Owners Manual for the Redfisher 18 provided all the info I really needed to rewire the entire boat ( which I have not done yet ).

One of the difficulties I ran across was that the coloring of the wires at the aft end was almost nonexistant after almost 14 years in the bilge. Using a multi meter set on continuity you should be able to trace the wiring from console to bilge, etc. That's how I found that some of my wiring had broken inside the insulation thus the need for a total rewire.

In a recent post Hobo suggested using a distribution power post in the upper part of the rigging compartment to eliminate running all of the blk ground wires all the way back to the console by using one #8 wire instead. I'm definitely looking at doing that. http://www.mbcforum.com/showtopic.php?tid/50292/

One thing I don't understand lies in how the switches operate. If I add a second livewell pump to the accessory side of my existing livewell switch will the existing livewell pump shut down when I activate the new livewell pump on the same switch???

Between using the supplied diagrams and manual for the Redfisher 18 you should be able to isolate any electrical problems. :)

RL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You've got one of the best boats out there in my opinion. Don't be upset about not being able to find a wiring diagram for a 14 yr. old boat. Wiring diagrams are over rated... This forum is all you need.

Archived