2001 Redfisher 16 Restoration

MarcoFishHippie

• 2 weeks later...

Painted the floor as well. It looks dark in this picture because it was late afternoon sun. Getting ready for the painter to come to do the boxes and engine this week. And SeaDek too! Pretty excited because all the hard prep work has been done and now with a few more things it will really come together and the work will show!

IMG_5115.JPG

This may be obvious, but thought I would pass it along. For anyone sanding to paint, do not use steel wool!! I've used it in the past for refinishing furniture and other woodworking projects. However, on the boat the little steel fines have gotten all over the place and created little rust spots. I've been able to remove them easily with Rust Off from West Marine and a light bristle brush. But every time I turn around I find a few more. The rust fines are like fleas on an old hunting dog! 

Yesterday was a big day! SeaDek came to install! I'll start a separate post on that with lots of pictures. Before they arrived, I took care of some last minute tasks... Starting with a new Gemlux Belacosa steering wheel. My old one, while working fine, was rusted, scratched, etc., and I wanted a sleek, new look. So here is the old and new. 

IMG_5236.JPG

fullsizeoutput_163c.jpeg

• 1 year later...

The support bar is from a company called Fishmaster out of Texas. I think the website is www.fishmaster.com. They have great products. I also got a casting platform for the bow and a few high quality rod holders. I used Marine grade gloss paint for the live well. My local paint dealer tinted it for me.  Because the space was so small I had to brush it. This may be obvious, but if you brush, go top to bottom so you can keep paint even. Make sure you sand the heck out of it first. And when you are sure you’ve sanded the heck out of it, sand a little more! Any more questions, please let me know.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 6:47 AM, MarcoFishHippie said:

I've always been frustrated with the lack of convenient storage on the 2001 models. I understand the newer models have better storage capabilities. I've never been a big fan of the fold down seats, and the storage underneath is a virtually wasted space to me. So I took an unconventional approach that works for me. First, I removed the seat and seat back, which eliminated quite a bit of weight. Second, I raised the coaming walls so they rest just under the top lid. I used PVC board to raise the walls. It is significantly cheaper than Starboard, equally durable and weighs less. I was trying to avoid adding any weight, and think I achieved that by using the PVC board. After raising the coaming, I painted the box with marine grade paint and installed some Drideck. The box is not watertight, so I wanted to raise the bottom a little so my gear doesn't sit in water. Finally I constructed some boxes and storage so I can keep gear in the boat but also batten it down so it is not bouncing all over the place when running. I tested it the other day and there does not seem to be any change in how the boat sits in the water, operates or runs. And the storage is great! I will be installing SeaDek across the entire face of the new wall so you won't be able to see the transition from the original coaming to the new wall I built. Some pictures below. 

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

I have a 2006 RF 16.  I am seriously considering changing the flip down seat arrangement as well but I want to do away with the backrest completely (lots of weight there as you mention) and add a long access hatch on top. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived