2008 21MA

CG RYAN

That one's been out there for awhile now- I recognize that tackle compartment on the bench seat.  Not a bad idea, but why you'd do it in black instead of white I don't know. 

Anyone else who remembers this one from before know what he was asking last time?  I suspect that someone could pick that thing up for about 25K with a little negotiating.

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, hurricane said:

I think the first answer is "The Bay Boat Revolution". Second would be the two stroke, most people want a four stroke for that kinda money. And third would be location. Boat looks nice and seems priced well. 

I would take this boat over any Bay Boat on the water.

Nailed it.  

4 hours ago, hurricane said:

I think the first answer is "The Bay Boat Revolution". Second would be the two stroke, most people want a four stroke for that kinda money. And third would be location. Boat looks nice and seems priced well. 

I would take this boat over any Bay Boat on the water.

Probrably right about bay boat....  Wife and I were at park other day with baby and walked over to see a redfishers 21.  She said wow it's huge (come to think of it first time I've heard that) I asked wifey if she wanted me to sell the Pathy and buy one and her immediate response is "there's no sides, the baby will slide right off...keep in mind we had a hewes for 12 years and no one ever slid off, but mommas are protective I guess.

The location might hurt but really it's only about an hour from jax so use that to your advantage.  I've bought 2 "Florida" boats (Hewes and Pathfinder) from out of state and they were outstanding deals.  Had my Hewes for 12 years and made 3k on it.  My 2003 Pathy came from TN and there isn't a spec of corrosion anywhere including transom cap and trailer still looks new with all original hardware.  I love out of state boats...Road trip!

17 hours ago, ReelCracker2 said:

Does anyone on the forum know anything about this specific boat and why it has been for sale since the fall other than the it was priced higher back in the fall??? I'd like to take a drive up to GA and look at it but can't figure out why it has been for sale so long.   

A lot of us drooled over it, but it was priced WAAAAY too high.  It's coming down towards reality now.  Go buy that sucker and make us all happy!  You'll be happy too, a 21 MA?  That's the cat's meow right there!

Hi All,

Longtime lurker but looking to get into the Mav family soon.....other considerations which I (and maybe others) am struggling with are cockpit depth & gunnel height above waterline. Does anyone know the difference between a 21MA & 2200TE?

Might be better as a separate topic, but might help explain what many people are looking for in that $$ and size range....the 4-stroke vs HPDI is an issue.

BTW, just sold my Action Craft and looking for my next money pit;)

13 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

It has an HPDI.....their reputation isn't that good and no one want o spend 25k on a grenade. 

There was a time in the past, with the early HPDI's that had trouble. But I don't think this year or design had any troubles. Lots of big block HPDI's like this one still running strong. That said, it is for sure a four stroke world now days. 

27 minutes ago, fsusteve said:

^^^^ this, tons of hpdi's hanging on the back of boats out there without issue. It's a big flats boat, you're not gonna have a ton of gunnel on it, never had an issue with it, never got wet, my grandkids make me nervous when they're on it though.

I think this answers the question for me on whether these boats are family friendly.  I have 3 year old twins and was considering a 21' if the right one popped up.  I was iffy on how comfortable I would be with the kids and wife and I don't think it's worth it.  

I wrote this in a previous topic about family on an 18 Redfisher.

I have an 18MA and have had it since my son was about 3 he is now 5, previous to that I had a 22 Pathfinder. I have no trouble feeling safe with him on the boat. He sits on the floor or at the wheel with me when are running.  When we stop to fish or at the sandbar he walks the gunnels like a pro, he always has a life jacket on so if he falls in I'm not too worried. Usually we stop in shallow water with little current. If there was heavy current there would be no gunnel walking.

I think the wide gunnels compared to the tall sides can be safer in some way, unless going offshore. The kids tend to lay on the deck or gunnels and look over, rather than lean over the rail of the Pathfinder. When the lean over they want to touch the water so its a stretch, almost to point of falling out. Of course never underway. Also with the Pathfinder I never liked it when people sat behind the leaning post and I would never let kids sit back there. I want to keep my eye on kids all the time, it could be a long time till I realized they fell out if they are behind the driver. Also I think kids sitting on the leaning post is dangerous. Its very tall compared to sides and one hard turn and its very easy for an unprepared kid to fly off the seat and out the boat.  So that limits seating, but thats just me. 

10 hours ago, hurricane said:

There was a time in the past, with the early HPDI's that had trouble. But I don't think this year or design had any troubles. Lots of big block HPDI's like this one still running strong. That said, it is for sure a four stroke world now days. 

Maybe so, but if people go ask a few different mechanics, they'll tell them to run away. All mine did and not to mention, four stroke technology has come a long way.

Yes, I drove up yesterday and bought her.  The boat is clean and in good working order.  One original owner now in his 70s,   Went on test ride, compression and diagnostic tests with 8 year Yamaha certified mechanic.  The engine has 440 hours so keeping my finger crossed I can get another 400+.  Finding a clean used MA 21 with a new engine rarely happens in the real world.  Buying any used boat is risk - YOLO.    Excited to take the family out for a spin today.

Bought my 18RF with the carbed 150vmax (2006). I love it. The simplicity of 2 strokes is fantastic. I've had 4 strokes on all my other boats and couldn't be happier with my 'new to me' 2 stroke. Aside from being quieter I don't see anything I like more about the 4 stroke. I love to do my own Maintenance and the 2 stroke really is easy. Good luck with the beautiful boat and enjoy!

Archived