18.5 MA Prop Set up

mglow

I have a 2003 18.5 MA with Yamaha 150 2 stroke. It came with a 23p Tempest 3 blade prop. 45ish at 5400rpm loaded down. I am not happy with the hole shot and wanted to try a 4 blade. After doing a bit of reading I decided to try a Powertech. My local boat dealer/service guy called Poertech  and they are suggesting a 15p with my set up................19p is what I had in mind.....Anyone with a similar set up?

I have the same setup same year. Currently run a Powertech OFS 3 blade 19. Its a good all around prop, holeshot isn't bad, will cruise around 3800 at about 35mph, top end 5500 at about 53 mph. I give a little on the holeshot to have a better midrange, my motor is carb'd and is thirsty.  I also have a Powertech OFX 19 3 blade and its a bit too small, I need to have it tweaked up to a 20. I tried an OFX 21 and it was too big. I like the OFX design better than the OFS, I think it will improve holeshot and without giving on the midrange.

• 2 months later...

I have a 1992 18.5 MA. I just upgraded my 130hp to a 150 Pro XS. I'm running a 21 Laser. When running light I get 5600 and 50mph. Would like to tweek it to get 5800=6000 for optimal performance. The hole shot isn't great. the stern squats pretty good on take off. I really want it to jump up.  I have several other boat projects but this one is coming soon. From the responses above I may need to replace the Laser with something better. Does anyone have any experience with a Laser Prop? I will be following this thread 

17 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

I have a 1992 18.5 MA. I just upgraded my 130hp to a 150 Pro XS. I'm running a 21 Laser. When running light I get 5600 and 50mph. Would like to tweek it to get 5800=6000 for optimal performance. The hole shot isn't great. the stern squats pretty good on take off. I really want it to jump up.  I have several other boat projects but this one is coming soon. From the responses above I may need to replace the Laser with something better. Does anyone have any experience with a Laser Prop? I will be following this thread 

The Merc Trophy Plus 4-blade would be worth a try for better grip and hole-shot.  You could try a 13.75 x 19P Trophy and see if it gets you 5800 rpm.  However, you might have to drop down to a 13.75 x 17P Trophy.  It comes with the PVS plug system so you can play with different port sizes.  Another prop that I would consider is the Merc Enertia 3-blade in X7 Alloy.  The Enertia comes in a 14 x 19P and 14.2 x 18P and is recommended for grip and speed.  I am not affiliated with Mercury Marine.  I just love the way my Yamaha runs with a Mercury propeller on it.

1 hour ago, KeeKee Run said:

Are there prop shops where you can leave a deposit and try out some of these props before buying? How do you get the opportunity to try different prop options without having to drop $500 on a prop just to find out it not what you were looking for?  

I've heard of these guys but have not done business with them first hand.  They are located fairly close to you:

http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Testing/tabid/62/Default.aspx

On 1/1/2017 at 11:19 AM, geeviam said:

I've heard of these guys but have not done business with them first hand.  They are located fairly close to you:

http://www.propgods.com/Content2/Testing/tabid/62/Default.aspx

I purchased one from them 6-7 years ago for my MA. Ken I think was the owner. Best price I could find and quick service.

I run a Power Tech PTC4R18PCL200. I love the four blade but too old for speed...need it to stick and jump. 

Archived