NC Flounder

bernieNC

Release: Immediate

Date: Oct. 13, 2016

Phone: 252-342-0642

North Carolina will remain open for flounder fishing this fall

MOREHEAD CITY – North Carolina will remain open for flounder fishing this fall.

The state will not close flounder season on Oct. 16 for the recreational hook-and-line and gig fisheries, as was planned. The recreational flounder season will remain open with the current 15-inch minimum size limit and six-fish bag limit.

Flounder season will remain open for the anchored, large-mesh gill net fisheries, as well. However, there will still be a Dec. 1-31 commercial flounder season closure, as in previous years.

The changes are due to a recent court order whereby a judge issued a temporary injunction against these and other regulations adopted by the Marine Fisheries Commission. The commission adopted the changes in November 2015 as part of a supplement to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan.

The temporary injunction will remain in effect until a full hearing on a lawsuit filed by the North Carolina Fisheries Association against the state and the commission. No court date has been set for this hearing.

The judge also struck down a pound net quota and closure established under the flounder plan supplement.

Other provisions of the flounder plan supplement remain in place, including:

·         A 15-inch minimum size limit for the commercial fisheries.

·         A 6-inch minimum mesh size for anchored large-mesh gill nets.

·         A 5 ¾-inch escape panel for flounder pound nets 

I could do without this fall to make the future better. I guess the get them while you can mentally rules in NC.

I guess I see it as a crying shame that the state group that is charged with fisheries management is not allowed to manage it; right, wrong or indifferent. It's a cluster for sure.

2 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I could do without this fall to make the future better. I guess the get them while you can mentally rules in NC.

I guess I see it as a crying shame that the state group that is charged with fisheries management is not allowed to manage it; right, wrong or indifferent. It's a cluster for sure.

NC is dead last in fisheries management. Special interest rule the world.

Witch Way-

Hubert house had no issues. Minor dock damage and a day of lot clean up. NO chain saw required. Our little "Historical House" in Beaufort (NC) had about 2' of water under it but it is set up for it. Again, another day of unboarding, lot cleanup and reinstalling the dehumidifier under it. Dock is fine.  Our daughter's family has real problems. They are in the Ayden/Grifton area and evacuated their house last Sunday. Day before yesterday they had about 7 or 8 feet of water under their house (Log Home on stilts near the Contentnea). At this time and for days to come you cannot get but within a couple hundred yards of the house and it cannot be seen. Remains to be seen if they will have anything to go back to. Everyone has their good health.

21 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Witch Way-

Hubert house had no issues. Minor dock damage and a day of lot clean up. NO chain saw required. Our little "Historical House" in Beaufort (NC) had about 2' of water under it but it is set up for it. Again, another day of unboarding, lot cleanup and reinstalling the dehumidifier under it. Dock is fine.  Our daughter's family has real problems. They are in the Ayden/Grifton area and evacuated their house last Sunday. Day before yesterday they had about 7 or 8 feet of water under their house (Log Home on stilts near the Contentnea). At this time and for days to come you cannot get but within a couple hundred yards of the house and it cannot be seen. Remains to be seen if they will have anything to go back to. Everyone has their good health.

Really glad to hear everyone made it through okay (physically) - I am sorry to hear about your daughter - that's brutal.  I have friends in Greenville that are in rough shape too.  This thing's been a beast - we got off lucky here at the coast.

Archived