For all of you that fish!

slyshon

Very interesting article about how our public resource is being taken away and privatized to be benefit of a few and how the EDF is really a shill for corporations who benefit from this privatization. Sorry for the length but if you want to know what's going on in today's Federal fisheries management, you need to read this from beginning to end.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/10/edf_how_a_rogue_environmental.html

• Like 2

Not getting any better. It is bad enough to read this stuff but having to listen to the EDF crowd at these fishery meetings in person makes me leave my carry weapon at home.

They are really after the for hire fleet now. I have blue sheets laying on my desk right now for upcoming proposals. Possible catch shares and electronic monitoring of my vessel is coming to include a call in to leave port and a mandatory call in before hitting the dock when chartering.

I foresee a shrinking of the charter fleet and a monopoly controlled by EDF operated corporations. Just like they have done with commercial fishing.}:(

I'm sure Mr Deal has had some real interesting conversations the last couple of years and most likely knows how deeply entrenched these envrio groups are in the management process.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, slyshon said:

Very interesting article about how our public resource is being taken away and privatized to be benefit of a few and how the EDF is really a shill for corporations who benefit from this privatization. Sorry for the length but if you want to know what's going on in today's Federal fisheries management, you need to read this from beginning to end.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/10/edf_how_a_rogue_environmental.html

Great article. Thank you for sharing. 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great Article! This should be a must read for all that fish! Time to get ALL recreational fisherman and families to get involved and write the politicians involved! Some might think it’s useless to get involved but think about the economical impact that is involved with recreational fisherman, Boat Sales go down, Fuel usage, tackle sales,electronics etc...etc...I’m all in about enforcing limits, but make the limits the same for ALL! Just not the privileged. Again, Great article!......David

• 1 year later...

After this latest proposal of closed Flouder season, I can somehow see their point! The average “ fisherman” will normally catch their limit of flounder when they run. But take a look at the seafood shops and you can clearly see the gigg marks on the fish! These giggers are taking 30-50 flounder at one time and illegally selling them to fish markets without even a license. So as bad as it sounds, I have to agree…David

This is my post from 2016 and guess what has happened. My guess was pretty good. 2021 and now we have everything but the catch shares for the for hire fleet.☹️

2016  "I foresee a shrinking of the charter fleet and a monopoly controlled by EDF operated corporations. Just like they have done with commercial fishing. Possible catch shares and electronic monitoring of my vessel is coming to include a call in to leave port and a mandatory call in before hitting the dock when chartering. "

Capt Troy, I honestly feel bad for charter Captains as well as the recreational fishermen AND women who are mandated by these regulations as they are your livelihood! True story which I’ll never forget. When I fished offshore, I took a small group of RNs and ER personnel out for a little offshore fishing. 1 RN caught her very 1st fish in her life which was a grouper that was 1/4 inch to small. ( I’m not exaggerating) she wanted to take it home to show her family her very first fish she ever caught. Since we already had a full box I reluctantly agreed and said throw it in the box. I was met at the ramp by FWC who wanted to do the all to often safety inspection as well as asking how was the the fishing today. I told him it was OK and he asked mind if I take a look? What can you say? He found that 1/4 inch to small grouper and confiscated ALL the fish. I was given a ticket which was a mandatory court appearance in front of the judge. Here in Duval county your given a number. Mine was #14. The first 13 we’re strippers or crack heads and all the judge said to them was 50.00 pay the bailiff. My turn came up as I nervously stood in front of her and she asked how I pled. She then said 560.00 pay the bailiff. I was hot over that and asked her if I smoked crack naked, danced around my fishing pole would my fine be 50.00. She then remarked it is now for contempt of court pay the bailiff 610.00 on my way out.Very true story!…..David

• 2 months later...

I was met at the ramp by FWC who wanted to do the all to often safety inspection as well as asking how was the the fishing today. I told him it was OK and he asked mind if I take a look?

Just a quick question to the comment above, does FWC have the right to search your boat and possessions for illegal stuff without your consent or warrant or must they ask and have permission from owner first?