1986 SPORTSTER 197 SCV RESTORATION

yachtbuilder

• 1 month later...

WOW! That is impressive! I replaced a transom once, but it much easier than this. It was in a 16 foot Thompson Sidewinder. I just took the top deck off the boat, cut out the old transom and gl***ed in a new one. My current boat is one my friend left me as he moved away. I know it needs a new floor. Not sure about the stringers. Any suggestions as far as material selection for the floor and strings? I was planning on just putting carpet back in. Any suggestions there?

Every re-deck Iv'e done has needed the stringers done also...but who knows..maybe you'll luck out. If the stringers are bad, just copy what the original manufacturer did, but completely encapsulate the new ones with fibergl***. Use 3/4" marine grade plywood for the deck and gl*** the underside of it with chopped matt before you install it. Theres nothing wrong with putting carpet back in..just make sure you roll out some gelcoat over the gl*** before you glue the carpet down. Bare polyester fibergl*** will absorb water over time and rot the plywood underneath. And lastly....any faseners you put in the deck to install seats, battery boxes, etc...MUST be sealed with 5200, otherwise that is where the deck will start rotting. Hope that helps. I painted the topsides tonight on the cobia...pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The epoxy would be too thick to spray unless you thinned it quite a bit and I'm not sure what that would do to the integrity of the product. I have always rolled it on with a gl***koter roller. They are red in color and very short knap. Comes out nice every time. if you use a fuzzy roller, your hull will look like nonskid, and if you brush it, it really looks nasty.

• 3 weeks later...

Great restoration! i bought a boat last year and have tried to find out what model it is, and it looks the same. the boat has someway ended up in sweden and havent been used for a long time. i wish i had your skills, but i will try to make a new deck and interior this year, and new paint. Is there anyone here that can recomend sites with seats(thinking of fitting two back-to-back seats?), bimini tops (for this model) and other things you need that also ships to sweden?

Sorry for steeling your tread, great pictures and it gives me new motivation! would love to see more pics of the interior and other nice solutions you made.

Best regards from sweden (however i visit the gulf states frequently in my work on a tanker)

1296428877-cobia.jpg.81930e21f713897ddc5

rackzo... welcome!

the last time i saw a trailer like that i was in alabama!

yachtbuilder has obviously been doing this stuff for a while... i think i can speak for all of us when i say, NICE WORK.

there are a few sites that i look at for inspiration on these things... cl***icmako.com is my favorite. i lurk there a lot. also, the bateau boat forum is a good one to see a lot of custom stuff... and guys all over the world building stuff on that site...

what do you plan to do with the boat?

i bet sweden is beautiful. post up some pics!

the alabama trailer isnt really road ready, we use a crane and the trailer sits still. :content:

if i keep the boat it will be a brand new trailer i guess. the boat was almost for free, and my options is a full restoration or to sell it and buy a good shape boat. its insane how low priced the boats are in US, but its to risky to import one i guess, you never now what you get. A boat like mine in this bad shape (good engine) you can get 7-8000$ for here in sweden, so one plan is to sell it and find a nice 15-20000£ US boat and import. then im looking for a bigger daycruiser, formula, sea ray etc, but since we pay 2$ per liter for the gas now (6$ gallon) i dont want to big engine.

My plan if i do the restoration is to make it more fishing friendly, no more carpets. i plan to build a engine compartment, all in plastic with teak deck on top,this will make the seating area smaller, but i get more selfdrained area, i will moor stern to and this new "platform" will make it easy to bosrd. the bimini top, or canvas top or whatever its called will then be shortened to end where the engine platform start with transparent canvas "doors" facing aft. that way i will have a nice "cabin" boat during winter. The deck will be new laminated etc.etc.etc so in the end maybe its best to just buy a new boat.

Well, I won't sugar coat the work involved in doing a full restoration....just the man hours alone....not to mention the cost of materials. but that is the only way I could afford to have a boat like this. I mean if I went to the boat show expecting to come home with a 20' cuddy cabin, I would have to fork over about 35000.00 ! As it stands, I might have 4500.00 in this boat when I'm done. The fact that I'm a boatbuilder gives me access to scraps and materials that others may not have, and I get trade prices on the things I have to buy and it is still expensive. I'm not trying to discourage you, but carefully consider the cost not only in dollars, but in your time.

Since im working on a ship, i have 6months home every year, so i have plenty of time! but since i have done some restoration before i no know it takes alot longer then expected, the cost wont be to high, cellfoam(divynicell is made in sweden) and plastic is cheap, but fittings, chairs and paint will be more expensive. Do you have more pics of the inside of the boat? im mainly looking for a good solution for the engine cover, if i should just make a copy of the original, or if i should maka a full width platform/hatch/sofa

real good paintjob you made aswell, im very impressed of your work! would love to see more pics.

regards

Archived