Crimper recommendation

justfish

Hopefully soon I will do my normal routine of tidying up my wiring on my new to me boat.  Previous owner had a lil "different" way of doing things...he soldered all his connections and dipped em in what looks like plastic-coat.  Seems to work fine, but ain't for me so I'll be cleaning all that up soon and putting in heat shrink connectors.

Figured it might be a good excuse to get some new crimpers...I've always used channel lock 909's and think they make great crimps, but even after some modification still feel like they puncture the insulation occasionally.  Thinking of trying some ratcheting ones made for insulated connectors. Any recommendations?

kinda leaning toward trying these due to great reviews and price: https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-11477-Ratcheting-Terminal/dp/B0069TRKJ0#customerReviews

I'd recommend non insulated butt connectors and clear adhesive filled shrink tubing.  Those shrinking butt connectors are very expensive and are compromised with almost every style crimper.  With clear shrink tubing you can see your connector and wire. If it were to turn green (almost never happens) you'll be able to see it. 

After researching the same topic a  few years ago I landed on the same link that Donv provided above.  I bought the (CMI) crimper that is recommended in the article  (or maybe at the time it was Anchor crimper part number 702010; but it looks exactly the same) . Was money well spent. 

The crimper is made specifically for insulated heat shrink connectors and does not damage the insulation. Makes a perfect crimp every time.

Also, you can get good heat shrink connectors and tinned wire at a good price from Genuinedealz. Have ordered from them several times, always good service and quality parts.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-electrical-supply/wire-connectors?cat=170

I like solder. Been doing it for years with not problems. However, have recently been using the butt connectors that have solder in them. Just stick your wires in, heat with a heat gun. Perfect connection and the sheathing is very thick and shrinks to fit the wire and it has glue for a water tight connection.  

I use the HOBO method....crimp then heat shrink over it.....if it's in the bilge, crimp then double heat shrink....

Good crimpers are important....more important I feel is the wire trim....get one that is automatic....that is, it has a gauge for the wire and strips off the sheath....then you can trim to length to fit into the crimp.

Here is what DonH and I found to be useful when we re-wired the skinny mini:

1.) Heat Gun

2.) Good Crimper

3.) Good wire stripper

4.) Box of various crimps (I bought them on Amazon and they worked ok)

5.) lots of heat shrink....two sizes, one that fits over the crimp...one slightly longer that you can double over it.

6.) lots of zip ties, some with screw fastern, some without....but, longer is better when you are tying the stuff together

7.) several bags of plastic tubing for the wires so you can have a neat area in the bilg....buy at Home Cheapo....called "wire tamers or like this...plastic tube with a slit"

8.) Lots of wire various sizes....

9.) New buses and fuse panels

10.) screw connector crimps to attach to the bus or fuse panel

11.) Lots of patience....

Enjoy :)

dc

Archived