Dogs and gel coat ???

LarryH

I have a 55lb two year old British hunting/pointing Lab and she is a high energy bird dog. She's also my bud and goes with me almost everywhere. I want her to be my fishing partner should I pull the trigger on a new Hewes.

How does the deck nonskid hold up to dog traffic? I usually keep her nails clipped/grinded. But our wood floors at the house have considerable wear/scratches. 

Is the nonskid durable enough to handle dog claws? Is it fairly easy to repair? 

Thanks for your feedback- 

Keeping in mind my boats have never been brand new, I usually keep them in very good shape and clean as can be.  We named our boat Salty Paws so obviously take our dog a lot.  He's a 60lb lab and have never noticed him doing any damage other than leaving a lot of hair for me to clean up.  

Thanks justfish. That's somewhat comforting. 

I'm a past MBC owner and know the quality. But as my bride noted: "are you buying a flats boat or a Cadillac Escalade?" LoL. 

I'm not a fanatic and actually like the look of a well fished skiff over a garage queen. But I want to manage the expectations. 

I have a 50 lb Vizsla (talk about high energy) and after 3-1/2 years my boat shows no signs of wear from the dog.  A friend of mine is a flooring guy. Six years ago we redid the floors in our house and he told me with an active dog go quality laminate not wood. You would be hard pressed to find any scratches and that dog skates all over the house.

Thanks Bernie 

The carpenter in me wanted reclaimed pine flooring in this house. And at the time I didn't know I was getting a pup. I'll have to repair some when we sell. The laminates are nice. I believe we may also look at wood look ceramic for the next home.

back on topic-it's great to hear no problems with dogs on the boat deck. Thanks-

3 hours ago, fin-addict said:

pup always on the boat, no signs of him at all. take him with you. flooring, laminate much better than real wood for doggy traffic., fin

No doubt you are correct on the laminate. But...it drives me crazy because I'm a 3rd gen builder and I'm a wood lover. Most of it seems fake/plastic. But there are manufacturers that are producing better laminates. Even the LVT "planks" are looking good nowadaze.

The home I'm about to build I'll probably use the wood look ceramic tile. Because we may make it a rental down the road, and the durability is concern.

In your later years, as you reflect back on life, and memories come flooding in, chances are good that not one of those memories will include the sight of scratches on your boat deck.  Chances are also good that you will have cherished and fond memories of the way your dog looked and acted while sharing with you the sights and smells during a brisk day on the water.  I say go for it!

1 hour ago, Tony Noriega said:

In your later years, as you reflect back on life, and memories come flooding in, chances are good that not one of those memories will include the sight of scratches on your boat deck.  Chances are also good that you will have cherished and fond memories of the way your dog looked and acted while sharing with you the sights and smells during a brisk day on the water.  I say go for it!

You are correct sir. And it's how I feel about the wood flooring...and everything else she has "improved" (LoL) around the house. And my truck too. She is worth WAAAAAY more to me than material things.

Labs, water, and boats   they just go together.

I can't leave the house with the boat or a gun case . My 2 labs  would be between me and the door going nuts. If i got out the door the dogs would fall  against the door, slide down it like you killed them then lie there and wimper for  an hour.

They never damaged the boat but if you ignore them too long the cork on your rod butt would be chewed. Rubber handled screwdrivers would be given a very rough nonslip texture if left unattended too.

Archived