Changing from 12v to 24v trolling motor

HewesYourDaddy

Are you using a two bank charger or three bank? The wiring from the batteries to the trolling motor is the same regardless, you just have one additional charging lead with the three bank. Just remember, the 24 volt system and the charging system are two different things although they all connect to your batteries. The picture provided by Nauti is an excellent example.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm doing the same project. I have a question regarding the on board charger. My boat is kept outside, sometimes covered and sometimes not. Is there a possibility that the charger and batts in the console will get too hot if kept plugged in to maintain a good charge? Also, have any of you put a plug/outlet from the charger on the side of your console to plug an extension cord into?

Anytime you are using a charger, there is a risk.  Having said that, I keep my boats away from the house and under covers like you mention.  I keep them plugged in when I am around, but disconnect them when I am not.  If you have a quality on-board charger and quality batteries, you should not have any problem . . but should not and will not are not necessarily the same thing.  Just depends on how well you want to sleep at night.   :)  Just my .02

You will want the charged batteries to have plenty of ventilation ,for heat and fumes issues,  That being said I leave my batteries for car and boats in the winter for 6 mos at a time.  I've done it for over 15yrs and no issues.  You need to buy quality trickle chargers like Ctek or deltran.  I remove my batteries from the boat during the winter storage and place them in a dry place for charging.  If you are home during storage ,just check in in them on a regular basis if it makes you feel better.

Hobo's diagram works  but I believe that it is safer to use the first battery with a common ground and not a common positive.  In his diagram if you use the wrong ground you will get 24 volts to a 12volt system.  using the tm ground and the pos on that battery gives you 12volts  and it is easier to remember nothing goes on the positive connection of the tm as it is the only 24 volt accessory

Just personal preference

On December 7, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Geaux Time said:

Also, have any of you put a plug/outlet from the charger on the side of your console to plug an extension cord into?

I have the plug fitting on the side of console on my Redfisher. 

Truth is, I could live w/o it. And kinda wish I'd thought about it when I ordered my boat. I woukd have asked to forego the plug fixture. 

It is wise to open the console when charging as others have posted. So, why not just plug the charger into the extension cord through the console door (or large rigging hole on the front of console when back cushion removed, if you have that setup as I do) 

1 hour ago, Bamaskeet said:

I like the charger plug on  the side of the console.  I can easily plug and unplug my charger from the ground without climbing in the boat.

I have been reading about boat fires caused by battery chargers going bad, I'm now disconnecting my plug after adequate charge time.

X2

I'm not disagreeing or trying to be confrontational. I've had the charger plug on the side of the console of several boats, including my new Redfisher. And I don't hate it. 

But I have to take the back cushion off the front of the console to see the charger indicator lights. And open the console door to turn off the battery switch. (This also provides plenty of air flow) 

I questioned why I'm not just pluging in the charger cable to the extension cord from inside the console instead of the cute little side of console plug fixture. 

Matter of fact. There's enough charger power cable balled up inside the console...It could probably reach the garage receptacle without an extension cord. LoL. 

I have the plug outside the console.  This time of year, when I do most of my fishing, I don't even crack the door open.  It's plenty cool enough.  Plus, my Powermania has a cooling fan.  In the heat of summertime, I was cracking the door open just to be safe.

IMG_1292.JPG

Archived