2001 Redfisher Re-power options/ thoughts

Hewes Owner

I know this has been discussed before but i have a 2001 redfisher with a 2001 Yamaha 90 two stroke on the back.  I am very happy with the boat/ motor combo because the boat doesn't squat too bad and i can get 40 mph out of her with just me and light on fuel. I know i will have to eventually re-power her and wanted to get some feedback from some of you who have real life experience with re-powering older boats with the new heavy four strokes. I am leaning towards the Yamaha 115 SHO when the time comes to re-power. What are your thoughts on this set up? From my research the 115 is going to be about 100 lbs heaver than my 90 two stroke. I currently have my two trolling motor batteries mounted in the bow compartment. Will i have to add more weight up there to offset the extra 100 lbs on the transom? 

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have a 2001 redfisher 18 with a 2001 115 yamaha 4 stroke, and so far my top speed with the current and two people with half tank of gas is 49mph on average i run 45mph with 2-3 people and full tank of gas getting around 5-6mpg mine also does not squat very much

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 2001 RF 16'. I have a 2001 Yamaha 115 four stroke. Love it. I can easily get into the 40 mph range depending on how much I have on the boat and water conditions. I get on plane with no issues. I recently had it in for some service and the tech suggested some slight modifications to the prop, so I will update. In terms of the weight trade off, make sure when you calculate the difference in weight between a 90 and a 115, that the comparison is between a 2001 90 HP and a 2016 115 HP. I was told there is a meaningful difference between the weight of the 2001 and 2016 115 HP engines. So all in, going from a 2001 90 to a 2016 115 may not add that much weight after all. Good luck with it!

• 1 month later...

I too have a 2001 Redfisher w/ an 01 Yamaha 90 2 stroke.  I'm looking to re-power as well. 

The listed dry weight for my 90 2 stroke is 257lbs, the Yamaha F90 4stroke is 370lbs the F70 hp 4 stroke is 257lbs , the F75 is 370lbs and the VMax 115hp  is 370lbs  the F115  inline 4 115hp is a whopping 487lbs

I like to fish skinny water below knee deep down to about 12" where I start to drag now when poling on the back

I have heard the 115 may make it porpoise? Also wondering about the extra 100lbs of weight and shallow water performance

Anybody used the 70hp 4 stroke

Any feedback is welcomed.  Thanx

i have a bayfisher so not apples to apples but it will help...

im a speed freak and wanted a 115 on my boat. the extra 100 lbs bugged me so i had my wife who is barely more than that sit on the platform with her feet off the back of the boat to simulate the weight. i marked with waterline both with and without her. it was 1" to 1 1/4" in difference (i still have the marks and can measure if you want, but again, its a bayfisher). where i fish is terribly rocky and i couldnt sacrifice that kind of draft so i still have the 90 2 stroke.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:27 AM, Fsu11 said:

I currently have a 2001 redfisher 18 with a 2001 115 yamaha 4 stroke, and so far my top speed with the current and two people with half tank of gas is 49mph on average i run 45mph with 2-3 people and full tank of gas getting around 5-6mpg mine also does not squat very much

Id like to see that to not call BS, (49mph with a 115 4 stroke on a RF18)

I have 2004 RF with 115 four stroke and the best I can get with low fuel, trimmed up and fastest prop and perfect conditions is 42

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:38 PM, oxman said:

Id like to see that to not call BS, (49mph with a 115 4 stroke on a RF18)

I have 2004 RF with 115 four stroke and the best I can get with low fuel, trimmed up and fastest prop and perfect conditions is 42

That's werid the fastest ive been since this post has actually been 50.5mph that was clocked on my gps and on my phone, obviously going with the current. I can consistently hit 45-46 mph running a 3 blade prop even with a full tank of gas and trim tabs up all the way. are you sure your motor is trimmed correctly?

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Fsu11 said:

That's werid the fastest ive been since this post has actually been 50.5mph that was clocked on my gps and on my phone, obviously going with the current. I can consistently hit 45-46 mph running a 3 blade prop even with a full tank of gas and trim tabs up all the way. are you sure your motor is trimmed correctly?

I may be off a little from Spec in tilt and in prop as I run a 4 blade for better hole shot but still an 18 RF with a 115 going 50mph is awesome but hard to believe. I was in a friends 18 with a 150 this past weekend and he aired it out and on gps was 53.8 with boat loaded to the gills.

Archived