REpower 2200

JerryM

I am just starting this, Yamaha makes a 300 hp 4 stroke, I was on a 25' Hewes with T-Top, this week in Corpus, the boat was a rocket, and i am tired of getting left behind running from Corpus to Baffin Bay, about a 30 mile run.   i was checking the weight on the 250 hp and the 300 hp, same to the pound. 

I am just starting this, Yamaha makes a 300 hp 4 stroke, I was on a 25' Hewes with T-Top, this week in Corpus, the boat was a rocket, and i am tired of getting left behind running from Corpus to Baffin Bay, about a 30 mile run.   i was checking the weight on the 250 hp and the 300 hp, same to the pound. 

I am looking at the weight of my 150 hp, 428 lbs as listed.    That might be too much of a jump to go to the 300 at 540 lbs, the 250 hp is 505 lbs.  about the same as a small child.   The 250 hp if I am reading other comments will get close to the 60 mph which is quite a bit more than what I am getting with my 150hp.   In Texas we always think bigger or larger is better, not always a good idea.   Still like the idea of a 300 hp hanging there, total of about 100 lbs extra weight.   

1 hour ago, JerryM said:

Just out of curiosity, what would be the effect of a 300hp on it?   

For one, I would hate to hang that much weight, 562 lbs, on the transom when the transom wasn't designed or built to handle that much weight and hp.  You just don't know what that might do to the transom, in terms of stress cracks, etc.  Plus, like I mentioned, your boat takes a 20 inch shaft motor, not a 25 or 30 inch shaft.  In addition, that much weight would REALLY squat the stern of the boat, even more than the already heavy 4 strokes like the F150 all the way to the 250 SHO.  You might end up needing an automatic bilge pump on the deck to keep the water out!:D

Just wondering, I bought a boat in the past, 25' Mako, that had (2) 200, rated for 300hp, it got real squirrelly at top end, I am not going to overload the transom and go outside the limits, it is also hard to insure it.   But thanks for bringing back to earth.   My 150 SHO is doing fine, might look at a 250 SHO later this year.    Mine seems a little under powered, changing out injectors and see how she does this weekend.    

I saw a PF 2001 model 2400v this past weekend in Brunswick Ga with a 2016 400 R Mercury on it ( white motor , 4 stroke ) .  The transom was a  little lower in the water at idle, but..when he throttled it...looked like a racing boat.......rooster tail about 250 ft behind the boat until he got the jack plate where he wanted it.........he said it would run 70 mph. Hard for me to tell because i top out at 44 mph with the F150.  

My dream is to hang a 250 SHO on my 2007 2200V.  Since I just bought a brand new Amertrail trailer, my boss lady would kill me if I jumped out with new power.  But next spring.......

ps, I am the slow poke in the crowd. My F150 tops out at 5400 rpms and about 41 to 42 mph.  That's with an OFX4 x 17 prop.

Things got better over the weekend, changed out the injectors, what a difference that made, now seeing a little north of 41mph with the OX4  prop, could kick my self did not record the RPM.    I did run it with a 3 blade and got 6000 rpm which I have not seen in a while.   I will play with this for a the time being, and look for a good deal on a lightly used 250 SHO,    I did talk to several ECU tune shops they all said the pre SHO, which started in the spring of 2010, could not do much for, but the newer ones could get 200hp out of a 150hp, and 350hp out of a 250hp.   That would be scary fast in that boat.    I need a taller windshield.   It would be fun.   

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Tall Tails said:

I have a 225 SHO on my 03 2200. The boat is rated at 225. I can run 58-59 pretty much any time I want. Under the right conditions it will and has topped at 60.6 on the gps. That, in my opinion is plenty fast. 

Nice!  What prop are you running with the 225 SHO?

Archived