FPI inshore / offshore Tarpon, snook, phin & Epic day of BFT / cobes 9/24

FINCHASER

Been hitting the water pretty hard but things have been slow some fish here and there offshore and in but not really worthy of a big report.
Last Sunday we headed out for a snapper trip... left early afternoon hoping to maybe get a king or phin before dark, but wasn't expecting much. Threw a Sardine out once we hit the offshore bar and ten minutes later we are hooked up on a decent bull, my oldest sons first. Played with a few schoolies that were around and tried for snapper. Tried a spot I found a few months back and hadn't been back since... it was loaded with life. Caught a bunch of seabass a few verms and a 23" grove before a storm blew up that forced us to leave. Hit the inshore stuff and played with some tarpon the rest of the night while looking for snook.

Headed out mid last week and once again not much going on with the snapper so back inside to try for snook. 1st spot 1st cast and my plug gets slammed and resulted in a nice 30" slot snook. Jumped a bunch of tarpon from 60-well over 100lbs before we got bored and left.

Fast forward to todays epic action packed afternoon.. I was hopeful the NE wind would spark something and we broke the inlet at 1p with a well full of fingers, stopped on a bait spot and picked up a few doz dines then headed East stopped in 90 and didn't see much worth fishing and no current to speak of so decided to head out to 150. As we neared the target depth fliers were a lot more prevalent and even had packs of smaller ones around. Decided to troll plugs so put a Xrap mag 20 silver and a jumbo pink mirrolure and headed south.

10 minutes in both rods are doubled over with line screaming off the reels, we had to be careful to not cross lines I figured it was bonies so I cranked my drag down and started horsing mine in to avoid us getting our lines together. As I get color I can see the fishes back is black hmmm that's no bonie.... then the excitement sets in as it is a Giant BFT! My son put his in the holder and we gaffed it pretty sure its at least 30bs. Went back to work on his... ended up pulling off near the boat.

Reset lines and over the course of the next hour or so every now and then we'd see 20 to 30lb plus class BFT's skying on bait. Despite trying for over 30 min we could get them to bite on the plugs so the next ones we saw busting I grabbed a spinner with a spooltek on it and began ripping it subsurface.... watched several missed attempts as they swiped at it with their backs coming out of the water and then WHAM.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! after a few minutes we had it coming in and then it acted like a shark was after it then the line went slack, get the plug back in and then hook is missing from the cable... not sure if a shark cut it or if the cable just broke. Was bummed about that.. was really hoping to get one on it.

Tied on a waxwing as It casts a lot further and the next pod that came up I hooked up again.. had it whooped and coming in... about 30 feet from the boat a giant bull comes in and crushes it! While slightly upset and dismayed it takes me a minute to realize that several other bulls have shown up and they are swarmed with cobes!!
We spent the next hour trying to get a legal cobe to eat.. Amongst the smaller ones there were several 30s, 40s and one that had to be pushing 60s roaming around... everytime the big ones would get close we'd drop a bait and the smaller ones would rush in... very frustrating to say the least. Sun was going down and we were spent after all the adrenaline dumps we went thru so we headed in not even stopping off to try for snapper.

20160918_170632.jpg

20160918_192028.jpg

20160921_221047.jpg

20160924_160852.jpg

Archived