Yamaha F150

koondog

I do about one of these a week.  You do not have to drain the oil.  Pretty simple job once you've done it a few times.  The biggest part of the job is making sure the timing on the engine is correct with the gears on the balancer.  I sell many Yamaha 150 four strokes.  I will never sell one without this balancer upgrade done.  Its just a matter of time before they come apart on the original balancer.  I have seen it happen on 50 hour engines and I have seen 1000 hour engines on the original balancer.  I don't believe its worth the risk for such a high dollar engine.  They get changed out as soon as they come into my shop.  These are some of my favorite engines when this balancer upgrade has been done. 

1 hour ago, mattconrad said:

I do about one of these a week.  You do not have to drain the oil.  Pretty simple job once you've done it a few times.  The biggest part of the job is making sure the timing on the engine is correct with the gears on the balancer.  I sell many Yamaha 150 four strokes.  I will never sell one without this balancer upgrade done.  Its just a matter of time before they come apart on the original balancer.  I have seen it happen on 50 hour engines and I have seen 1000 hour engines on the original balancer.  I don't believe its worth the risk for such a high dollar engine.  They get changed out as soon as they come into my shop.  These are some of my favorite engines when this balancer upgrade has been done. 

What year did Yamaha correct this problem?

For those of you really interested in learning about the balancer problem, I suggest you log onto "The Hull Truth,"  and do a search in the general forum for Yamaha f150 harmonic balancer.  There is a LOT of info and threads on the subject.  That is where I learned more than I need to know about the issue!

2 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

What year models have the latest and greatest ? Can you look under cowling for the "1" or "3" stamped into the housing as shown in this thread ?

Mine is a 2006 and needed it. so I image most of the motors +/- a few years.

Yes you can look for the number. Pop the cowling off and look at the front of your motor. You can see the machined stamp on the outside of the balancer without removing anything. 

Here is a good article on how to change the balancer: http://www.reelfishingadventures.net/Extra Pages/will_it_blow_up.html

I can't remember the latest number designation, but for some reason, I want to think it was a "4."  I could be wrong.  Anyway, after I bought my '07 last November, rather than roll the dice, I had mine replaced to the latest and greatest.  I read too many first hand horror stories over on The Hull Truth.  LOL.  They even talked over there that an older motor with low hours was more prone to blow, and that described my motor.  The highly recommended Yamy dealer in south Florida that did mine said it did need changing......all I can do is trust he was telling the truth.  But, the bottom line is, I can sleep without worrying!   

Edit:  The latest and greatest part number is 63p115000400.  I just looked it up on my ticket.   I use to know what year was ok, but don't remember that anymore.  But I think you can call any good, reputable Yamaha dealer, or maybe Sim Yamaha, and they can tell you what year the latest balancers were started into production.  Don't quote me, but 2010 seems to ring a bell.

1 minute ago, JEM said:

I can't remember the latest number designation, but for some reason, I want to think it was a "4."  I could be wrong.  Anyway, after I bought my '07 last November, rather than roll the dice, I had mine replaced to the latest and greatest.  I read too many first hand horror stories over on The Hull Truth.  LOL.  They even talked over there that an older motor with low hours was more prone to blow, and that described my motor.  The Yamy dealer that did mine said it did need changing......all I can do is trust he was telling the truth.  But, the bottom line is, I can sleep without worrying!   

4 is the latest and greatest. The full part number is 63P-11500-04-00.

• 3 weeks later...

So after reading this thread I had the balancer checked on my 2004 F150 with 475 hours.  I have experienced the "whine"  almost since the boat was new.  At the time we were told it was a belt whine not to worry.  Long story short the gear was worn out, particles all through the oil,along with corrosion in the oil pan, labor & parts totaled $2900.00.  Thank you for posting or I would be adding a new motor on the pathfinder.  My issue is why does Yamaha not announce a known problem to the public as a preemptive measure rather letting us kill our motors & become unhappy Yamaha owners.  I suggest anyone with the 04-05 F150 get it checked. 

Someday Came 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 4:07 PM, JEM said:

I can't remember the latest number designation, but for some reason, I want to think it was a "4."  I could be wrong.  Anyway, after I bought my '07 last November, rather than roll the dice, I had mine replaced to the latest and greatest.  I read too many first hand horror stories over on The Hull Truth.  LOL.  They even talked over there that an older motor with low hours was more prone to blow, and that described my motor.  The highly recommended Yamy dealer in south Florida that did mine said it did need changing......all I can do is trust he was telling the truth.  But, the bottom line is, I can sleep without worrying!   

Edit:  The latest and greatest part number is 63p115000400.  I just looked it up on my ticket.   I use to know what year was ok, but don't remember that anymore.  But I think you can call any good, reputable Yamaha dealer, or maybe Sim Yamaha, and they can tell you what year the latest balancers were started into production.  Don't quote me, but 2010 seems to ring a bell.

I called Hale Marine in Savannah concerning mine...thinking because it was 2009 that it would be ok...he said that all of them up to 2013 should be changed at 500 hour service unless you hear the whine sound earlier. He has seen some with 1500 hours and no problems, some with less than 300 hours with problems. No rhyme or reason as to why some fail and some do not. 

It is definitely worth the peace of mind to have it looked at. 

If you don't want to use the 1,2,3 or 4 method I listed earlier regarding the number on the outside of the balancer, a good mechanic can pull yours off and look for the oil stand. If it is there, you have the updated part. Pay him $100 for the labor and the small amount of lochtite he had to use. 

If it is the older part with a 1 and no oil stand, add $400 for the balancer replacement part. 

Don't let the mechanic tell you it takes 3 hours or that they need to drain the oil. The job assuming the balancer has not already disintegrated takes 45 minutes. 

• 2 years later...