1972 Bonefisher

yjwrangler95

Well, here is my Bonefisher I picked up. I needs a new transom and two cylinders are low on the 1988 115 Yami. I'll be working on it for the next couple of months. This boat has some history, it was sunk in 1996, pulled out, re rigged with new power head. Not sure about anything else. I found that out about two weeks after I bought it. Anyway its a project.

1175202250-IMGP0880hewes.JPG.f48c61f266d

1175202242-IMGP0885hewes2.JPG.fc1a1cbc9c

I hear you, I will keep everyone posted with photos of the trip. I did get the motor to fire up though so we shall see. The floor is solid in all but one 6"x6" piece in the large seat storage hatch. I'm going to cut it out and take a look at the stringers while i'm in there. We will see how things look when i get into the transom.

Thanks,

it will be a fun road, I like buidling things and having projects. I've started sanding the hull and topside, one step at a time. I found out more of the history of the boat. Evidently it was struck by a drunk boater up in Lake Placid FL on or around 1994-1996 timframe. The new powerhead and rigging was replaced ect. The owner told me it did not sustain any damage, more or less the rear of the boat was jumped by the other boat which forced water over the stern. So we shall see, the transom is flexing pretty good, we shall see when we open it up

chest pains,

thansk for pointing me in the direction of the poling platform, is it still for sale for 300?

I may be interested, not sure how things are goign to progress, the wife lost her job yesterday. Pretty tough here in naples, we are both civil engineers, she was working for centex homes, they cut almost 60% but time will tell.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

well fellow vintage owners, I've got an update. I have not had much time to work on the ol girl lately, I've been studying for my PE (Professional Engineering) liscense exam, it was friday and now i'm off to the races. I had the old motor running a bit, not great but it was running. I did a compression test on it and the left bank was low 87ish and the right bank was on teh money 127 in both holes. I hooked the water up to her and cranked away got her running and water starting pouring out between the head and the block, well thought maybe I might be lucky enough to have a blow head gasket. Well sorry to say it looks like she was run hard a put up wet inside the lower hold, you can see where the prevous owner had run her dry on oil and the piston had stuck. so that was enough fun for this afternoon. I still have a lot of gl*** work to do but thought I'd given an update if anyone was interested.......

Well I broke down tonight and cut a hole in the floor under the big hatch in the rear, I had a soft spot and my thoughts were correct, I've got wet foam and the stringers are soaked and when I drilled some holes through the gl*** they look like the are covered in a slime type material. So I think I'm going to wait a bit, finish my building and pull the deck off and do it right. I wasn't planning on doing this but I think I'm going to go full boogy with the old girl. I just need to finsih my work space so I will have a dry place to work. I'm sure I'll have some questions. I will keep everyone posted.....

• 1 month later...

Not to much is happening. It is sitting in my back yard with a tarp over it. After cutting the hole in the floor and seeing the stringers in as bad a shape as they are I realized this is going to be a real project not just a quick fix. I'm in the process of starting on a 40x60 steel buidling behind my house and I figure if I'm going to be cutting out the floor, hatches, transom ect. I'm going to need a nice dry place to work. My buddy and I are learing fibergl*** work on his 20 seacraft, he is in the process of putting a new transom in it so it is a learning expierence for both of us, so we'll do his, finish my building and then i'm going to make the old girl shine. I'm really looking forward to it acually. I want to go rip her down now and start but 1st things first. I didn't give much for it the way it sits and it is keeping dry under the tarp. I did take the consol out and pulled all the cables and most of the rigging off it and threw a lot of junk in teh can. I had to cut the steering off with a sawzall. I may start working on the consol and get it ready. I want to awl grip the hull red and white and the inerior white as well. So I may gl*** up the consol they way I want it and spray it, try and get a feel for the awlgrip. my problem is I get to many projects going at once. Well I'm off to Hawaii for two weeks tomorrow so I can't complain, do some snorkleing and eat a lot of wahoo.......I'll keep everone posted...dh

• 9 months later...

I've got an update, I'm finally getting done with my barn so I can start working on the Boat. I had some time the past two evenings so I removed the cap and starting removing the rear compartments. I saved the top part of the rear hatches to keep as a template. I'm going to have to build new bulkheads and try and reuse the old hatch cap. I starting ripping up the floor, it was soaked and the foam as soaked as well. I've also got some stringer work to do. The transom is like mush. It is full of water and falling apart. I've got some work to do. We will see how it goes. I'm going to post them to my photobucket. www.photobucket.com just search for yjwrangler95

I've attached some pictures.......

Cool, I am in the same boat as you are now, no pun intended. I have ripped out my floor to find rotten stringers to go with the rotten floor. The transom seemed solid, but I went ahead and ripped it out as well since I am rebuilding the rest of the boat. Good thing I did it was a little damp back there. I just picked up some gl***, and transom pour last Fri. and have my custom gel coat on order. Keep up the good work.

Yep,

I went ouside and looked at it this morning, it was one of those moments that I just wanted to say no and move on, but I like to have projects. I just finished my buidling so I've got a place to work, but I've got to work in some time to run power out to it. I'm going to take my time, hopully everythgn will work out.

If you check out www.photobucket.com and search for yjwrangler95 then click on my albums you can see the boat, the barn, and four wheeling pictures from back home....

1204812017-IMGP1168.JPG.8e479702d7bbaef7

1204812009-IMGP1167.JPG.d4231cf3c1b2c743

1204811999-IMGP1166.JPG.e3c23f662fb8ee7c

1204811992-IMGP1165.JPG.6a17b19aad9e6dbb

1204811984-IMGP1164.JPG.4d069d8d2cac37fe

Update: 3/5/08...I finished tearing out the compartments this past weekend and I started on the transom last night. I'll post pictures tonight or in the morning. There are spots in my transom near the sides and bottom that are mush. Its amazing that the motor didn't fall off this thing. I will hopefully get the transom out tonight and do some grinding and maybe this weekend fit the new transom.

Archived