New Shades (sunglasses)

SCFD rtrd.

Posted just now · Report post

Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Sunclouds today.  Made by Smith Optics. They came with optional build-in readers (1.5). Lifetime warranty. If the glasses fail in any way, just bring them back to the retailer. They will give you a new pair and they do the warranty stuff with their supplier. Just walk in with broken glasses and walk out with new ones. Total $79, that's one third the price of Costa's.

My Costa's are in for repair, broke after only one year.

This is the exact reason I quit waiting for Costa to repair my glasses.....the last time it took them over a month to repair.  They use to have very good customer service,  but over years the have gradually gone way down hill in my opinion.  Smith Optics is a first class customer service orientated business and that is what you need to do these days to stay in  business.  Happy owner of 2 pair of Smith Optics.  Who has a month to wait to get warrantee work done?

I have an email into Costa right now for two pairs that are falling apart, their fault, only after a year and a half of the last time they were warrantied. If they don't come through, im done with CDM. My issue is I have to wear glass, high end glass, any distortion in the lenses, common with Poly, gives me migraines. 

15 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Posted just now · Report post

Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Sunshades today.  Made by Smith Optics. They came with optional build-in readers (1.5). Lifetime warranty. If the glasses fail in any way, just bring them back to the retailer. They will give you a new pair and they do the warranty stuff with their supplier. Just walk in with broken glasses and walk out with new ones. Total $79, that's one third the price of Costa's.

My Costa's are in for repair, broke after only one year.

Consider yourself lucky. The lenses alone in my sunglasses were over $700. Then I have to get my "regular glasses". It is now over $1500 for me every other year and that is with the 2 pair discounts.

9 hours ago, Reel Loco said:

Where did you get the Smith's locally?

RL....I bought mine online right after Christmas when they were on sale for $149.00 each.  Laishley Marine in Punta Gorda sells them and stocks most styles.  They did not have mine in stock so I shopped online and found them for about 60-70 bucks cheaper so I bought 2 pair.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:56 PM, Reel Loco said:

Where did you get the Smith's locally?

There is a retailer in Altamonte Springs, just north of Orlando (Travel Country). Here's a link to find local retailers.

http://www.suncloudoptics.com/store-finder?country=US&radius=50.0&latitude=28.6235111&longitude=-81.4246931&q=Orlando%2C+Florida%2C+32810

For those that switched from CDM to Smith, we're you wearing 580 glass with CDM? And can you tell and difference between Smith glass and 580G? That's my biggest problem is finding distortion free glass, all poly I have ever tried has some type of distortion in it, high end glass doesnt. Maui Jim was probably as good if not better but they didn't have frames that fit my massive melon. Just curious, im over CDM and their cheap frames. $250 and lucky to get a year out of them before they fall apart.

I'm in "negotiations" with CDM right now for them to fix my $750 worth of sunglasses on their dollar, they will either fix them or lose my business forever. I'm over having to fight this fight every 1.5 - 2 years when their supposedly high end glasses fall apart from normal use.

For you that have purchased the Smith optics I see on the website that they have CHROMAPOP, CHROMAPOP+ and TECHLITE lens. It says the CHROMAPOPS are Carbon lenses, not glass, is that correct? What color lenses do you prefer for Flats fishing? I found a local place in Tampa that sells them and I will check them out this weekend.

I too have 3 pair of CDM's that have the rubber falling off...  I will never buy another pair and I can't use the ones that I have.  I started using Smith's about a year ago, I broke a lens and they replaced the glasses with a brand new pair for about 80 $ with freight, excellent service!  I have a pair of Guide's Choice, Captains Choice and Colson Blue Chromapop, love them and I'll buy more... 

1 hour ago, lurem said:

For you that have purchased the Smith optics I see on the website that they have CHROMAPOP, CHROMAPOP+ and TECHLITE lens. It says the CHROMAPOPS are Carbon lenses, not glass, is that correct? What color lenses do you prefer for Flats fishing? I found a local place in Tampa that sells them and I will check them out this weekend.

Chromapop Polarized Brown (amber) for most conditions where I fish.....Charlotte Harbor.  Not the clearest water here a lot of the time.  But for clear water condition I like their Turnkey style with Chromapop Polarchromic Ignitor lens.  They are perfect for spotting fish in clear water conditions.    

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at there site for CHROMAPOP and bifocals. Is there such a thing?  I see the OP has sunclouds (polarized) made by smith optics and bifocals, not CHROMAPOPS.

SCFD-have you compared your Sunclouds to the CHROMAPOP lenses? How do you like them for fishing?

dc

I just purchased the Smith Guide's Choice with Chromapop Bronze Mirror lenses. The glasses are extremely light weight compared to my Costa Mag Bay's green mirror amber lenses. They don't block as much sun so on a full sun day i will grab my Costas but if partly cloudy, the Smith's are the best. 

I have a pair of Sunclouds also that i almost never wear.

Update on my one year old broken Costas; They sent me a brand new pair of glasses and charged me $12. Great right? Not really, here is the rub. This new pair of glasses are flawed right out of the box. The nose piece is not centered on the frame and the arms are not parallel. One arm is about 1/4" higher then the other. So the glasses sit crooked on my face. So, my best guess is that Costa sells there best glasses for retail and saves their flawed glasses to give to customers who have a warranty problem. Going to send them back with a nice note about the flawed product and hopefully they will replace them with a perfect pair.  Like I said in my original post, this is my last pair of Costas.

My new Sunclouds by Smith Optics are looking better everyday and they only cost $79 with factory readers. I have a problem rewarding anyone for a substandard product or service.

Archived