North East Corner of Anclote Key

Capt. Troy

You will see it and the North Bar is shrinking and the BS with the drunks and punks on the weekends are out of control at North Bar.

I talked to the local FWC officer the other day and he says he hopes a good storm washes the entire thing away. And, people wonder why we can't have a cocktail on a single barrier Island south of that point.

Yea I know, I'm getting old and grouchy.;)

"Yea I know, I'm getting old and grouchy"

Rest assured Capt., you are not the only one!!! It's been many years since I have even so much as considered going out on a three day weekend, the amateur drunks are out of control. The one saving grace as far as I'm concerned, there is Monday through Friday to fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I had always heard that Dutchman Key (that little area) was privately owned. Of course, that was what someone told me 20 years ago so it may or may not be true. If you are renting skis from there then how is the customer going to get to the dock from land? Shuttle/water taxi?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 4:51 PM, mulligan said:

I was over by Anclote for the first time I'm awhile today and had to stop and take a look.   That thing is going to have a boat wrapped around those stilts in no time.  I thought it was going to be on the inside of the key and not right in the pass!

YEP

Remember the one that went through the stilt house up by the cootee.

Hi All,

I'm a long time browser on this site, and hopefully, one day, a future hewes/maverick owner.  I joined so I could comment about this illegally built tiki hut.  I didn't like there being one out there, but made peace with it because I figured there would only be one, and maybe it was a single person who owned the land but couldn't sell it and was permitted to build it as an access point to their land, or some other weird loop hole.  Now that it is confirmed to be owned by a group of investors and that they are going to actively skirt the laws to build a mega structure out there.  I'm fully pissed off.  I don't know the legalities, but since it wasn't permitted, deeded, or titled I believe that anyone can use the current one that is built.  I will be looking into the legalities of this, but am hoping to crowd source with people much more knowledgeable than me.  If anyone knows an FWC officer it would be helpful to know if they could apply trespassing laws to anyone on it. If anyone knows maritime law that wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, that would be very helpful.  When I find out anything I will be sure to share.

I wonder what the "owner" of the structure would do if people just start using it whenever they want.  If I can't be arrested, you can bet that I would love to meet all of you out there for a day to sit under the tiki hut and share some fishing stories :-).  I will let you all know what I find out, and i'm going to created a facebook group for like minded people that are against this tiki hut being built (once I can figure out an appropriate name "anglers against anclote tiki" is my first semi-working title but I'm not in love with it, lol).   Also, if I can't use the tiki hut that is in state waters, I believe there is no noise ordinance so I could sit out there all night with a horn if people are on it, and could probably find many other people that would volunteer to do the same when I'm unable to.

This entire deal smells of something. I posted this as soon as this started back in September. Now the DEP is acting like it's a surprise and talking after the fact. The island has a park Ranger, the FWC and the DEP are of the same agency now and nobody said squat until he got the roof on.9_9

If he continues what will the impact be on the sea grass and habitat. There are already scrap pieces of lumber floating around out there and if it goes as planned several more with adjoining walkways all over the pristine grass flats is going to make this much more than an eye sore. On another note the survey markers would appear the pass between north key and Anclote key could possibly be blocked by the structure.}:(

I have never even heard of someone sinking a single piling on the water without DEP approval.

Archived