1996 Hewes 20' Light Tackle Rebuild

bigsnook35

I have been in the process of rebuilding the boat since I bought it. I took it out one time before we started tearing it apart. It has been a long road but there is some light at the end of the tunnel now. Everything will be new on and in the boat except the fuel tank and the motor. The boat is a 1996 Hewes 20' Light Tackle with a 2001 Mercury Optimax 225hp. My father and I are doing as much the work as possible. What we haven't been able to figure out in our own we researched and gave it a try. The only thing that we couldn't do so far was Line-X on the entire cap, all compartment, and all metal work. I have been trying to take a few pictures as we have been going but don't always remember unfortunately. We are about to get started back on the rebuild after taking a month off do to prior commitments. Hoping we can have it finished by the end of October. Any questions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wrap mostly on the other day with the help from a friend who has done them on cars before. It wasn't too bad and doesn't look horrible so that's a positive. I'll try to get pictures of it next week. Starting to add pumps and wiring in the rigging hatch. It is slowly coming together. Also test fit the poling platform and Jack plate to figure out which power pole brackets will be needed. 

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Rebuilt the existing. Took everything off and filled all holes except the hole for the sea star steering. Then cut new holes for everything. Very happy with how it turned out. Glass work isn't too bad as long as you go slow. This was my first time ever working with glass and it went pretty well most of the time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Owned a 20 ft 95 Hewes Light Tackle for almost 10 years and it was a great boat!  I can still remember the chatter of those hatches running that boat. Here is a picture of our last trip to the Marquesas trying to keep up with a go fast offshore boat headed to the Dry Tortugas!  Another of my Dad and a friend after a good day on the water! Many good memories!!   

Keys 2007 088.jpg

fISHING 055.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...