Rewire

bonham

I have a used 22 ft 2001 Pathfinder. there are places where the wiring has some questionable repairs.. I can tell that quite a few of the ground wires are fully corroded and can't be used.. I am considering pulling all the wires that go to the back out and redoing.. I am only referring to the wires that go to the pumps and trim tabs.

i live in Houston and keep my boat in Port Lavaca. I am looking for advice. perhaps there is a place where I can buy the harness ready to go? Perhaps it is a bad idea to try and do myself and there are some rof commendations for where to take it. I am looking for anything you guys want to tell me.

I like to try and take up-close pics just in case I forget how something goes back together. It gives me an idea of how it was before I tear into stuff. Use tinned wire and shrink tubing to help prevent/sIow down corrosion. I don't think they'll be any pre-made harnesses, but I could be wrong

You are not going to find a pre-made wiring harness for just the pumps and trim tabs. Additionally, the original harness is made at the factory and the wires are taped and wire-tied in a bundle. So, it's doubtful that you will be able to remove the original wires. Look in the bilge and in the console or a small rope. Hopefully the factory left a rope for future wiring pulls. Use this rope to pull your new wires all at one time. Use plenty of wire lube to make the job easier and get a friend to help pull the wires. And don't forget to add a new rope to your new wires so you'll have it in place for the future. Follow crash's advise on tinned wire and heat shrink tubing.

I did a full rewire on mine.. everything, pulled the full harness counted the wires and ran 4 extras to the back where pumps and tabs are connected the wires to harness and pulled to console. I tried to do what your talking about but it was nearly impossible. I replaced the fuse's and added a breaker panel also. Total cost was about 500$ with everything and have bunch of wire left. Took 4/5 hours to do it all. i wasn't paying someone 2/3000 that i was quoted to do it. I added 1100 gpm pumps and new hoses to all wells also during the rewire with bubblers to 2 of them so that added little time. 

Its a pretty easy DIY task. 

Check with Pacer Marine, pacergroup.net .  They do make pre-made wiring harnesses, but they are not listed on their website.  I don't know if they do custom ones or not.  But they make excellent marine wire, it has a thicker but more supple covering than some other wire and I think it pulls more easily.   They'll have everything else you should need to do the job, their folks are very helpful if you call with questions.  

• 8 months later...

You can do it yourself, just take your time and keep track of everything. I really like duplex wire such as this 

ancor marine duplex wire http://www.ancorproducts.com/en/products/wire-and-cable/multi-conductor/safety-duplex-cable 

Here is an old manual, I also keep it here to share etc https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3BKMjUk8BI5OGxPNkxVNGxid3M 

2000v_and_2200T_Oweners_Manual.pdf

Archived