BOLO for my Stolen 18' Mirage HPX 2004 Maverick

jlivnmia

In regards to the "second theft" I think Mod1 is speaking of, the best advice I got from my Dad when I went through a total loss insurance claim on an older boat was to not take it personal. Back in the good old days when State Farm would actually insure boats in FL I was down right offended with my payoff, it was a battle for every dollar the entire way. The insurance business is a business, they have to collect more in premiums than they pay out in claims. I genuinely hope that you learn no "hard lessons" as I did and the process goes smooth and to your satisfaction.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sorry the boat was recovered. It's never a good thing because they always end up stripped and dumped.

As I wrote previously, I'm in the yacht & boat insurance business and I know many of the policies & coverage, inside and out. Send me a PM with your number and I'll be glad to call you and help in any way that I can.

A few side notes....

Agreed Value or Replacement Cost insurance policies are a must, especially when there's a total loss and/or theft involved! Actual Cash Value (ACV) policy payouts are insulting, however many older boats can only get ACV coverage.

Coupler locks are nearly worthless, as are chained wheels; they can be cut in seconds. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, should invest in a good trailer wheel lock. And not the cheap ones made by Trimax. Club, TMX, Fulton, etc. Look into models made by Brahma or Equipment Lock Company. Nothing is 100% but the locking mechanisms on those units are nearly foolproof. I've personally been locking-up my trailer wheels for years with this unit- http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp  A thief would have to put my trailer wheels on dollies then winch my trailer onto a flatbed tow truck to steal it and it's rather unlikely a thief will go to that extreme in a residential neighborhood although it's possible.

Those of you who store your boats on their trailers in locked warehouses, lots or garages....you are not immune to boat theft and it makes perfect sense to get a trailer wheel lock too! The nicest trailered boats I've insured that were stolen all had one thing in common....they were stored in a locked warehouse or garage but none had trailer wheel locks.

This year there have been two boats and two jet skis stolen on their trailers in my neighborhood. All of those trailers had coupler locks but none of them had wheel locks. One was stored in a locked garage and the other three were stored outside; one behind a locked gate. All four were not recovered nor were they insured!

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

I'm with Miss Jazzy & crash, I absolutely hate a thief. I could put him out of his misery for 11 cents. Anyway, sorry about your boat. Hope insurance takes care of you. Was it stolen from your home? Or was it stored in a lot?

i'll do it for free. hate scum like that. boils my blood.

I'm not too thrilled with the discussion deteriorating to using weapons to protect  property or avenge loss of property.  Reacting to a threat on your life is another matter.

And yes, I am an NRA member, ATA member and hold a concealed carry card.

Conocean:  Thanks for the info on the wheel lock.  Used to have one after the loss of the 18MA.  Also installed a "Spot Trace" GPS tracking device.

Terry,

The anger and discussions are typical, but not serious. No theft justifies deadly force.  It is understandable anger and fear..

The best discussions are about how to protect your boat, and how these thieves identify targets..

There was a Task Force of Auto Theft Detectives that chased these guys around the State for years. The theft ring would steal trucks, then boats up both coasts from Jax to Tampa.. They arrested a few pairs in progress, and most were older guys (50+) from the West-Dade area. They never confessed to anything.. The ring bounced all over the State, so the surveillances were usually fruitless. Several theories floated around how they identified boats to steal: Storage lots along the I-95 and I-75 corridors were obvious. There was also speculation about a relative with access to DMV files who could search Pathfinders and other System Matched makes for the Yamahas, Delivery drivers passing along targets they spotted, and the embedded GPS locations on pictures uploaded on forums.. Lots of speculation, and the thefts continue.

The pair of guys who stole my boat and stripped it were identified two years later by DNA we collected from my hull. They were caught stealing a boat in Sarasota one night and the DNA hit popped up after they were booked there .. Same profile as above.

As a note, when fingerprinting my hull we found where the thieves had autographed the side of my hull with a screwdriver.. "Los Viejos"  Roughly meaning 'The Old (Mariel) Guys'.

The best plan is to protect your boats from being stolen, and make sure you have the right insurance, not the cheapest..

Can anyone post a picture of the proper trailer wheel lock ?

M1

So sorry for your loss. Yes, it's only" a boat..but it was/is yours.  I hate thieves!   It's a great platform, it can be rebuilt.  Hopefully the insurance company will work with you to rebuild, not just total with a check.

Scary, you had it protected behind fencing etc, somebody planned & targeted your fine vessel.  Horrible (forum won't let me use correct word!). What else can you say, ***!  

4 hours ago, fin-addict said:

thank you mod., just talk as you well know. no one in their right mind would use deadly force unless their life was in danger or a loved one. ccw permit holder for 45 years and proud of it. :),fin

sorry if the off topic offended anyone, not meant too.

No offense taken here, I have a FFL and a CWP and also hate a thief....it's bad enough that those bastards take things that families work hard for and take it away in a matter of minutes and do not care...no insurance company will ever pay back the blood , sweat and tears that go into rebuilding or purchasing a boat. It's just a *** shame.....

If anyone wants to do a wide area craigslist and ebay search the searchtempest.com search engine is a good tool for trolling a bunch of ads quickly. I've been looking for any of the accessories, platform, hatches, etc to pop up on there with hopes of alerting the authorities and owner, but haven't seen anything that looks promising as of yet. I don't have a lot of time so if anyone wants to take a gander you may see something pop (that can be identified or that has identifiable markings, s/n, etc) in another area.

Anything to help. This has got to be a gut wrenching and demoralizing experience and it has only just begun....

Good Luck!

r,

Bubba

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:07 AM, Moderator said:

The best plan is to protect your boats from being stolen, and make sure you have the right insurance, not the cheapest..

I agree that the best way to indemnify yourself is to make sure you have the proper coverage but I believe the best plan starts with doing all you can to prevent a theft by keeping your boat trailer wheel(s) locked up with a proven wheel locking system.

As Terry stated above, a gps theft tracking device (Spot Hug, Gost NavTracker, SeaTrax) is also a great tool in the event of theft. If law enforcement can locate the boat before the thieves find the tracker and destroy it then there's a good chance at recovery with little to no damage.

Ya'll might as well throw away your coupler locks and locked chains or cables on your wheels; they give us all a false sense of security and thieves laugh at them!

This reminds me of one of the first lessons my Grandfather and my Dad taught me many years ago. I asked him why he had such a small pad lock on his shed door with so many valuable tools and equipment inside, my Grandfather told me the lock was there "to keep the honest people out, he said there was not a lock big enough to stop the dishonest folks". I guess all you can do is make it harder for someone to steal your stuff and they go to someone else. In any case I'm hoping my extra heavy pad lock slows them down and they move somewhere else.

Boat lock.JPG

Archived