BOLO for my Stolen 18' Mirage HPX 2004 Maverick

jlivnmia

My maverick was stolen on Friday August 19th, 2016 at 10:00am in Miami, Florida (not surprising, I know).  I purchased this 2004 HPX 3 years ago and like most Maverick or skiff owners spent a great deal of time customizing it to my taste.  I changed the center console to the taller 2014 style with the Maverick yeti style cooler front seat.  I also added the following to my Maverick:

an inlaid Garmin 741xs, Chirp Transducer,  JBL Bluetooth radio, 300w JL Audio Amp, 10" JL Audio Speakers, dual Battery chargers for both the house and trolling motor batteries, gas springs for all of the hatches, custom SeaDek under the gunnels, 12 ft Talon, Lumitec underwater lighting and blue or white lighting in all of the hatches and under the gunnels, custom rod holder, 3 gel batteries, and I know I am missing stuff, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head.  The boat was sea foam blue. 

As you can expect, I am heartbroken that the boat was stolen and I wanted to share my grief with our community.  Most of all, what I will miss most are the the moments I would of had with my son, family and friends fishing, skiing, tubing and enjoying this great moments on the water.  Most of us work very hard to attain what we have in order to enjoy the little free time and someone just takes it all away in about 5 minutes, ***!!!!  I added some pics so you folks could visualize the boat, if you see it, please call police, I really would like to catch this guy.  The witness who saw the thief described him to be 5'8 to 5'10, moderate build, late 40's early 50's, dark skinned possibly Latin.  I just wanted to reach out to the community, thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_8930.JPG

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_7019[1].JPG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I haven't posted yet on THT, thanks for the idea. The trailer was an aluminum continental trailer with an aluminum tool box bolted to the tongue, the guides were wrapped with black covers with maverick and Caribee written vertically in white. It had a spare tire attached and a blue Costa sticker on the trailer. 

As to the thiefs vehicle, it was a white older suv maybe 10 to 15 years old. Thanks for the comment and suggestions. 

8 minutes ago, jlivnmia said:

No I haven't posted yet on THT, thanks for the idea. The trailer was an aluminum continental trailer with an aluminum tool box bolted to the tongue, the guides were wrapped with black covers with maverick and Caribee written vertically in white. It had a spare tire attached and a blue Costa sticker on the trailer. 

As to the thiefs vehicle, it was a white older suv maybe 10 to 15 years old. Thanks for the comment and suggestions. 

The sooner you can post over the with all these details the better. In addition I would start checking craigslist for any accessories that could be linked back to your boat. Ive heard of guys tracking down their boats from finding trolling motors, nav units etc being listed on CL. 

Can even imagine what you are going through. Hoping for a safe return of your skiff!

Paul is so right, it really sux. None of this would happen if there was not a market of low life people who will buy the motors and accessories for a quick profit selling overseas or out of state. As with every member of this forum, there is a pride owning one of these great boats and setting it up exactly how you wanted for you and your family. To lose that because of some low life scum has to hurt beyond belief. Heck, when someone jumped on my dock and stole both of the ice chests out of my boat I was upset for days, could not imagine having the whole boat stolen. Good Luck!

jlivnmia -

Man, that REALLY stinks.  I am sorry - will keep an eye out here in NC for it. :)  

Curious, if you are willing to share - how was it stolen?  Was it on the trailer?  In the water?  Don't want to make you put too much out there, but if there are any things you'd tell us to do to avoid having this happen, it would be appreciated.  

Your rig is probably in a container box ready for shipment to South America.

It's also likely that your hull and trailer will show up in a vacant lot minus electronics, outboard and trolling motor.  At least, that's what happened to my MA18 several years ago.  Taken from our home behind a locked gate.

I understand the pain of your loss.

5 minutes ago, Tarpon Terry said:

Your rig is probably in a container box ready for shipment to South America.

It's also likely that your hull and trailer will show up in a vacant lot minus electronics, outboard and trolling motor.  At least, that's what happened to my MA18 several years ago.  Taken from our home behind a locked gate.

I understand the pain of your loss.

My response is word-for-word: just replace MA18 with 23DV.

I understand the pain and anger of your loss. I was lucky to have bundled the boat with my home & auto policies with Allstate. Their service was exceptional..

M1

Just an update for all who are interested.  The good news is that they recovered the boat, the bad news is that they recovered the boat.  It seems the boat was stolen on Friday and was dumped on Saturday and the police never notified me, I only found out because the tow company sent me a letter Thursday that they were going to auction the hull in 30 days if I did not pick it up.  They stole everything that the boat had, even cutting into it to take the aluminum gas tank, pumps, pie hole covers, screws, everything including the entire center console.

For those that asked,  the boat was on the side of the house behind an electric gate under a two car carport with a cover and locks at the top of the boat, The thief broke the electric gate and opened it and then chiseled his way through the locks or the receiver at the tongue and put his own before being confronted by the witness who was at the home and driving off with the boat.     You wouldn't see the boat from the street unless the thief stopped at the entrance and looked all the way in the back where you would see a boat under a cover of some sort.

The question now or after I'm finished dealing with the insurance company is what to do???   They took so much stuff it's incredible,  even the hatch covers why would they take those unless they had a similar boat with the same size hatches. As you can imagine, I'm bummed, angry, and disappointed in my fellow man, left feeling violated. Was planning on entering the mbc tournament this year but don't think that will happen for obvious reasons.  Thanks for all the great replies and well wishes, the mbc community was a great source when I was building this boat!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JLiv,

It's a matter of settling the claim now.  Depends on what coverage you paid for.

You need to get in touch with your Insurance Co ASAP and the assigned adjuster. If they have a local office, you supply the Police Case # and sign some documents.. If out of State, get a copy of the police report to FAX them.  Get all the original boat documents together, including the trailer Reg. You will need them to release the boat from the tow yard to the adjuster. You may have to go to the tow yard yourself, so have extensive personal ID with you. A second theft takes place with the 'recovery', if you know what I mean. Your adjuster should walk you through the process. You will need pics of the equipment and accessories you had..Receipts too.  It will take a month or two to be paid off.

The morgue photos are disturbing and disgusting. It appears to be a total loss.

I feel for you, Brother..

M-1

Archived