Looking at replacement trailers

localangler

• 1 month later...
On August 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM, localangler said:

So my McClain trailer is just showing her age. She needs new axles and springs plus I found a few cracks from fatigue. I'm trying to decide whether I should repair the trailer or replace it. A quick call to Charleston trailers said they could build a tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles, LED lights, all aluminum and stainless components with torsion axles for about $3900. Local Pathfinder dealer recommended the Ameritrail but it was over $5000.  I know in the past guys have recommended some others as quality replacements but I'm drawing a blank on them and approximate prices. I don't need a specific brand but would like a balance between cost and quality that will last if I do my part. 

Just curious, but do you remember more specifically what the figure was on the Ameritrail quote up there in Charleston, and also was that with aluminum wheels and a spare?

Palmetto Boats, the local Maverick line dealer, told me abut $5900.  But they didn't say what all that included. I stopped by last week to get a exact price and was blown off by two separate sales guys. The final words told to me as I left were that they sold boats not trailers.  My response was most boats you sell are sitting on trailers. Needless to say I was a little pissed they weren't interested. I'm going to check Coast 2 Cove next week (Matthew has messed up this week's plans), and find out where an acquaintance got one for a 24 PF from too.

On a side not Butler Marine offered a welded bunk Wesco.  Vortex hubs, alloy wheels standard and brakes on front axle.  I added matching spare tire with hub mounted on the trailer and second axle brakes.  Total out the door was around $4000.  Wesco trailers are built near Columbia. 

Pretty much the same for me at Custom Marine in Statesboro.  I was negotiating on that trailer in Destin, so I went to Custom to see if they could even get close so I wouldn't have to drive 8 hrs, motel, etc.. I never did get a price for an Ameritrail.  And the owner of Custom is an old tennis buddy.  I told them I was getting the one in Destin, with aluminum wheels and a spare for $4500 plus tax.  If they could have got within $500, I would have bought from them.  They just told me to go buy the one in  Destin.  So at least, I believe I must be getting a deal......I like deals!😀

I am looking too.

4800 for an Ameritrail.

I was quoted 3200, today, for an aluminum, D beam, 4 bunk, leaf spring, stainless hardware, plastic fenders, galvanized spoke wheels., EZ Loader.

There was one on the lot. But it was a 2 bunk.  Dealer said they will build it any way you want.

Nice trailer.

captbill

New Bern, N C

I would suggest to pay the extra money for the Ameratrail.  Order the Pathfinder package.  It will have brakes on all four wheels, stainless hardware, welded bunks and aluminum fenders with the Pathfinder logo.  The boat will sit lower, between the fenders

The trailer is not perfect, but they load and pull great.

i would suggest you call Arthur at Ameratrail to get a copy of the options that are available.  He can email it to you.

While Ameratrail will sell you a trailer direct, you will get a better deal if you buy it through a dealer.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I ended up going with Ameritrail. I looked at a SC built trailer that did a welded trailer but they never returned my emails asking questions about the build,  I was going to buy from a local rep.  If you can't communicate before a sale I have no hope afterwards.  The local builder didn't offer welded trailers and I decided I wanted welded.  So I called Ameritrail since the local dealers stink and they built me a nice trailer.  The extra cost was paid for by my overtime during hurricane Matthew.

Thanks for all the input, if I'd of lived in FL I might have used a different builder but ameritrail delivered to my door for no extra charge if I waited half a week.  

20161107_100548.jpg

Archived